Topic: Advantages/Disadvantages of punbb being on a subdomain

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/informer.com#

I wonder why the more valuable and respected? domain punbb.org isn't being used for this project....

Alexa.com wrote:

To reiterate: Alexa generally defines a site at the domain level. Subdomains usually do not have their own Traffic Ranks unless they are recognized as personal pages, otherwise they are counted toward their domain.

This can't be good can it?

I assume the brand PunBB is worth less if it's used on subdomain.... worse rankings etc?

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of punbb being on a subdomain

What is to be gained? I don't think it is important. It is easy to find PunBB. It would be just as easy if it didn't have any ranking at all. Someone looking for forum software will be directed here from many other places.

I found PunBB by looking for forum software and reading what people said. That is probably normal, and ranking won't make any difference to that.

I was just thinking that there must be reason other projects use .org and TLD instead of subdomain...

This was one of the reasons for the fork, remember?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I don't think I was around then... it was before my time...

Wikipedia wrote:

.org

Intended use: Miscellaneous organizations not fitting in other categories (generally noncommercial)
Actual use: Nonprofits; personal sites; open-source projects; sometimes used by commercial entities

So that's the reason why it is used widely for other forums.

I guess PunBB is at Informer.com domain "just" for branding, since it's part of their portfolio smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame