Topic: A scaled version of punbb

Hi, I would like to see a scaled XHTML-version of punbb!

-why?

I was visiting the esato forum, and I noticed that you could view their forum through your cell-phone!
And punbb is just perfect to scale down to a forum you could easily read on your cell-phone.
I don't think it would be much of an effort to get punbb to work on a celluar, just a couple of xhtml-files with less tables and stuff.

smile

Re: A scaled version of punbb

I think it'd be better to make some new files, alongside the current ones, and mod the output to fit into the small screen of handhelds etc.

Then you could choose to either visit the regular forum or the modded one with an examination of the http-request...

actually, that's what i meant smile
maybe I didn't explain it that well

I have used the same idea myself here:
http://forum.sweclockers.com/showthread … did=181076

Here is a little idea of how it could look:
(I took this thread to test)

http://fett.mine.nu/bilder/temp/xhtml/pun-main.jpg
http://fett.mine.nu/bilder/temp/xhtml/pun-thread1.jpg
http://fett.mine.nu/bilder/temp/xhtml/pun-thread2.jpg
http://fett.mine.nu/bilder/temp/xhtml/pun-thread3.jpg

Kennel, I would really like this feature! smile

thats awesome, but not every board needs this....how about a mod instead?

sure, a mod would be fine too. That would even be better since the user then gets the chance too choose herself.

Do you think this would be a hard thing to do?

7 (edited by Wooty 2003-09-16 14:04)

OFF TOPIC POST

Yo! you with the cell phone... here in Israel we say Tachun big_smile. (Grinded... loaded with cash... big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile).
Don't get us Israelis wrong or something.. just being friendly... Way to go on the cell! big_smile.

Dan, (Official, i hope :D) PunBBHeb Translator.

lol, cellphones aren't that exspensive, only about 100US dollars....which is about 75 english pounds...thats the only conversion i can pretty much equally estimate....

fly wrote:

lol, cellphones aren't that exspensive, only about 100US dollars....which is about 75 english pounds...thats the only conversion i can pretty much equally estimate....

Why 100USD... it's about 400 shekels in Israel big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile smile smile smile smile smile smile.

Dan, (Official, i hope :D) PunBBHeb Translator.

What kind of phone is it? A SonyEricsson T610?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yes it is, I have also tested it on a t68i, so it would probably work on many phones.

Wooty wrote:

OFF TOPIC POST

Yo! you with the cell phone... here in Israel we say Tachun big_smile. (Grinded... loaded with cash... big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile).
Don't get us Israelis wrong or something.. just being friendly... Way to go on the cell! big_smile.

Here in sweden, everybody have a cell phone. I can assure you I am not rich smile

in the more developed countries like the ones in northern europe and parts of eastern europe, most people do have cellphones. israel on the other hand does not have as strong an economy. so things generally are higher priced.i live in the united states though, and not everyone has a cellphone here, and those who do dont normally pay for ity themselves either, their parents do.

I can assure you that it I payed for mine, but as you said fly, northern europe have a pretty good economy. And I am a "new-technical-stuff-geek", so I didn't have any other choice than saving some money and buy myself the most impressive phone on the market, a Sonyericsson T610 smile

lol, most US children have their parents pay for their phones lol, i dont have one at all

Its no wonder why we got a lot of cellphones here... Ericsson in Sweden and Nokia in Finland...we're just in the middle of it smile

Sweden kicks the rest of the worlds ass when it comes to Internet and Cell Phone..uhm...-net.

-

I was just thinking about this, but I wonder how it could be done.

Now that extern.php was released with 1.1, its possible to extract small amounts of data from the database quite easily.

How would one go about making a xhtml page though? Surely you need a PHP-enabled browser in the first place, in order to extract the data from the database in the first place. I'm not sure how good these handheld devices are at processing PHP.

Whats RSS all about? Could that help in this somehow? If you could somehow get an xhtml page that just read the final product of the forums, rather than the PHP code itself, then it would be pretty possible.

I'm not a php programmer as you can probably tell, but I can see this should be able to work.

Joey wrote:

How would one go about making a xhtml page though? Surely you need a PHP-enabled browser in the first place, in order to extract the data from the database in the first place. I'm not sure how good these handheld devices are at processing PHP.

The webserver handles the php-files and sends a "html"-document to the client. The client don't have anything to do with the php-code itselt, just the server :) So there should be no problem making a php-file that outputs xhtml-code instead.

So a page with a .php extension should still work on a WAP phone as long as it generates xhtml?

Joey wrote:

So a page with a .php extension should still work on a WAP phone as long as it generates xhtml?

Probably yes. I've never used WAP, so I'm not sure how it works.

Though, I do know that a browser never gets the php file.

Just bumping this up a bit.

I've got some php scripts which work fine via wap (just so long as you set your .htaccess file correctly) and use them to update latest scores during a match. Also use php for the news headlines etc, all displays fine via wml.

So all the parts needed for the forum would work...how easy would it be to add a mod to do all this?

(then again, do I really want people to be able to write to the forum when in the pub? it's bad enough when they get back after the pub!!).

Oh, and i'm not sure how the login/cookies would work but I guess they must somehow.

I'm willing to help do this if someone has more idea of what we'd need to change?

Cheers,
Rich

Doing this will be a lot easier with PunBB 1.2, which (thanks to Paul) has way better markup and utilizes CSS to a greater extent than 1.1.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Doing this will be a lot easier with PunBB 1.2, which (thanks to Paul) has way better markup and utilizes CSS to a greater extent than 1.1.

smile

im pretty excited for this.