Topic: possible to run multiple installations on same database?

I run several websites with varying themes. I want each to have it's own set of boards, rather than one set wiht categories for each site, so that each can have its own style as well as its own identity.

However, I think it would be great if they could share a database so that users regsitered for one forum would be registered for the others as well.

Is this possible? Is it a bad idea?

Re: possible to run multiple installations on same database?

It's possible, but it's quite complicated.

I'd say it's generally a bad idea. Not only is it hard to implement, but there are "ethical" issues with being automatically registered in multiple forums. I wouldn't be too happy if I was registered in more than the forum I registered in.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

You'd have to install a forum then install another one but change the members(users) prefix to the main boards prefix and it will work... but as Kennel said it will be one hell of a process to do..

I think it would be easier to find silver in a gold mine smile

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------
---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

4 (edited by RobvT 2006-02-17 19:25)

I've got the same question because i wanna run multilanguage forums beside each other. So no ethical problems here because it still will be the same forum. Butt where would i have to change the user prefix to so it will read the user info from another database on the same server?

The prefix now is: "  $db->prefix.'users'  " and i wouldn't know where to change it to...any suggestions or tips?

EDITED: To make it somewhat more understandable.......

I got a English forum with database FORUMEN
I got a Dutch forum with database FORUMNL

And i want to put the user table in the database FORUMUSERS

what to do what to do......

HTCClub.net team thx the builders of this great forum.

English forum: "en_" prefix
Dutch forum: "nl_" prefix
Users table: no prefix

Thx.. got it working @ www.htcclub.net.

HTCClub.net team thx the builders of this great forum.