Topic: Auto Subscribe

There should be a way to auto subscribe to any topic you post in.

Example on how it would work:
User goes into their Profile and clicks on a chechbox that denotes they want to subscribe to every topic they post in automatically.

I may take the time to make this myself, but if anybody wants to race to see who can get it done first I'm all for it. big_smile

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Re: Auto Subscribe

I'm kind of opposed to that feature. I have noticed that people have a tendency to "overuse" it. They subscribe to topics all the time even though they aren't really interested in getting notified or when they check the topic through their browser all the time anyway.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think after a while it could get annoying, in which case is it wasted if no-one uses it.

Wouldn't it produce a higher sever load too?

JoeWesthead wrote:

Wouldn't it produce a higher sever load too?

To some degree, yes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by SerwoliX 2005-03-10 23:20)

Hello,

Sorry, i'm french and this texte is a on-ligne traduce. hmm

I am an user of the punBB and I find hit really TOP smile.

But for the same reason that to evoke higher, I needed this option. The modification is very easy.

So, can I put the solution here????, or do you really don't want?.

The solution is in fact: the checkbox of demand of subscription is automatically checked.

Level: beginner
1 line to modifi

PS: for see the modif, click here

So, i give the soluce:

Original Code:

Line 508 : $checkboxes[] = '<label><input type="checkbox" name="subscribe" value="1" tabindex="'.($cur_index++).'"'.(isset($_POST['subscribe']) ? ' checked="checked"' : '').' />'.$lang_post['Subscribe'];

Auto Checked:

Line 508 : $checkboxes[] = '<label><input type="checkbox" name="subscribe" value="1" tabindex="'.($cur_index++).'" checked="checked" />'.$lang_post['Subscribe'];

Which file is that for? I would like to edit it for my forum...

On a side note, why isn't this an option in the user prefs like it is in vBulletin, or phpBB? I can't stand not being notified of every reply... it's one of the very first things I enable when I create a new account anywhere.

In this day in age, few of us have the kind of time to check a forum every day habitually... I am sure I am not the only who would just assume get an email...

Complete newbie to php here, found PunBB (brilliant!) after giving up with a couple of better-known forums that I didn't like, and after successfully doing a few other minor mods, not having that checkbox ticked by default was the only moan that I had from my users, so this was just what I was looking for too.

Reasons for *not* doing this are appreciated, but if you have a small group like mine (less than a dozen and all reasonably intelligent) who all agree that this is what they prefer as the default, and server load is not a problem, the answer to 
"Which file is that for?"
is
post.php

SerwoliX's message is over a year old, but I've done this on mine (1.2.12) and it's working as intended, no problems. smile