Topic: problem with set_time_limit, and then with ini_set

Hello,

I've been trying to install punbb 1.1.1 but without success.
I wonder if it may be because my provider has limited php (?).

First I had an error message 'set_time_limit undefined' when running install.php.

Then I removed the four lines where set_time_limit appears,
and I could run install.php and create the config.php file.

But now, I have a message 'ini_set' undefined.

Any hint?

Re: problem with set_time_limit, and then with ini_set

Looks like there's something wrong with the php.ini file or something

Is that the exact error message?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Here is the error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: ini_set() in ... coglist/forum/include/common.php on line 52

Aha. I guess your ISP has disabled that function. Try putting a @ just before ini_set.

Edit: Wait a minuter. There already is a @ before that function call, so you shouldn't see an error message.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by Christophe Pallier 2004-01-17 17:45)

Hum,

I've deleted the line @ini_set... from common.php and now the forum works (well I can log, but going into admin, I see more errors).

The problem was similar with set_time_limit:

The fact that these function calls were preceded by @ did not suffice to make php ignore them.

I've just visited the support newsgroup of my ISP and (after quite a bit of searching) I found a message
saying that using  "@function()" would not work any longer...

Changing provider seems to be the next option...

Yes, both those functions are used in a lot of PHP scripts, so I would recommend that you do that if it's possible.