1 (edited by Linus 2004-01-18 12:08)

Topic: Smilies after text

If you pu a smilie directly after som text (without a space) it won't be changed into a picture. Anyone know why it's like that and if someone does know why, maybe you could tell how to fix it?!

Example:

This is some text with a smilie:)  (smilie is obviously not working as supposed)

This is some text with a smile and a whitespace smile

Re: Smilies after text

True. However, why would you ever have a smiley without a whitespace characters in front of it?

Also, the only other forum I know that converts smilies without leading whitespace is vBulletin. All other (that I know of) work like PunBB.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well I like this way with spaces alot better, as it's impossible to mix what should be smilies, and what not...

YaBB does also parse smilies in text ... a friend of mine wrote that he would update something , and that he started at a certain time, this time was in the end of a thing he had written within parenthesis ... so it said that he 

(I'm currently updating it, at 15:48)

what in PunBB would never be parsed wrong ... but in his board, there's a smilie with glasses using the 8)    ... so you can probably figure out how ugly it looks ... when that last part of the time is parsed as a smilie wink

So I'm very glad this board doesn't use that kind of parsing smile

Edit: hehehe chacmool, but only with 1:06 big_smile

4 (edited by Chacmool 2004-01-18 14:53)

There are also problems where you don't want to convert a "smiley", for example:

Cost: $xx (yyy:-)

Edit: Damn! Frank H was quicker! wink

Okey. Guessed that there was a good reason for the smilies being parsed that way but couldn't think of it.