Topic: Punbb Photo Albums

Not sure if anyone has tried to do this, or even mentioned this before, but here goes: I was making a site for the extended family, so that all the relatives would be able to contact each other and that sort of crap. I had the idea of having an online photo album where people could upload images, and everyone else was able to see them. The couple of php and mysql photo albums I tried, I didn't like. I wanted something done to punbb to make it work like that. Here's what I can think of so far: Uploaded Images need their own directrory and maybe table (and/or another sql db). Maybe a modification to the Attachment mod could do what I want to? I know this whole idea sounds impossible, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Don't ask for the site because its not up yet, still wotking on the apache on the linux box.

Do, or do not.

Re: Punbb Photo Albums

Hmm, interesting smile

If you don't want to make everything yourself, meybe  you could merge punbb with gallery someway...

(Example of a page running gallery: battlefield1042.nu)

Edit: Moved the topic to discussions instead.

Well, I have tried that, but I am really clueless on this subject, I'm only a minow in the world of PHP.  I was hoping someone with greater knowledge of the subject would either make it (highly unlikely), or guide me through it.

Do, or do not.

Better start somewhere to learn php :) Though, it might be a quite big project to merge them. It would be cool though, and really good looking. I might take a look at it tomorrow... have no project to work on at the moment ;)

Gallery is a bit like PunBB, nice and clean! I like it! Alot!

Edit: So, you want each user to have their own album? Or should users be able to post "albums/images" the same way as "forums / topics" works within the forum?

5 (edited by zc923 2004-01-23 21:15)

Chacmool wrote:

So, you want each user to have their own album? Or should users be able to post "albums/images" the same way as "forums / topics" works within the forum?

The ability to post "albums/images". I was hoping someone needed a project wink

Do, or do not.

Any one started on this? Took a look at gallery, but I don't know how to make head or tail of it. Some help would go a long way.

Do, or do not.

7 (edited by Paul 2004-01-30 23:38)

You have to think through exactly how you want it to work before you can start thinking about how to do it. For example

1. Upload images to a separate directory using the attachment mod method.
2. When someone posts a picture and uploads a link will take you to the picture. Now, is that one large picture on its own with a link back to a thumbnail gallery or would the link take you to a thumbnail gallery.
3. If you are going to use a thumbnail gallery where is is linked from. No point in linking from individual posts, a simply link at the top of the board should do.

See what I mean. Working out the way you want it to work is probably the most difficult bit. Once you know exactly what you want to do the rest is just code bashing.

Well, I guess it would make sence for me to tell *modders* my needs:
Pictures should be uploaded to a seperate directory. I want the pictures to be displayed as thumbnails, but when clicked upon, open a new window that has an easy way to browse through the rest of the pictrues in that gallery. I only want galleries posted in certain topics, and only one gallery per post.
As far as the code mashing, I'll try, but I will need loads of help. Still learning php.

Do, or do not.

Do you actually want the script to create the thumbnails. If so, does your installation of php have GD support enabled.

Having at a quick look at hotscripts, there are plenty of gallery creation scripts about. Rickard may be into reinventing the wheel but personally I am happier stealing other peoples wheels.

GD, or will Imagix work? I have apache and mysql installed on fedora linux. I have infact looked at hotscripts, and started to experement with the autothumbnail.

Do, or do not.

11 (edited by Paul 2004-01-31 03:00)

There is a rather good tutorial here
http://codewalkers.com/tutorials/53/1.html
It contains all the information, including complete code for a image gallery mod. It doesn't deal with file uploading or restricted access etc but that is something for the PunBB end of things.

I will have a look at autothumbnail.

Sorry for the delay on an update, but my linux box had a nasty hard drive failure, so I am currently working on that. Once I am done, I'll let you know how it goes.

Do, or do not.

Hey, Rickard, have you considered making a PunGallery? Well, seeing with moble phones with built in cameras becoming more popular, people need an easy way and effective way to display and share their images.
Ok, This mod is starting to get a little harder then I can handle. Maybe an expert can help?

Do, or do not.

No, I haven't. PunBB + studies + freelance work is keeping me quite busy at the moment. I have neither the time nor the inclination to start another project on top of PunBB. At least not now.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ok, well, it was a try...

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

Ok, well, it was a try...

Not according to Yoda

Well Yoda can stick in his pointy ear... (Thanks to Weird Al Yankovic for that)

Do, or do not.

18 (edited by Louis 2004-02-12 16:09)

I would recommend modifying Gallery to fit the design of PunBB as well ... in fact, I was considering this for my own website ;)

For complete integration, the somewhat difficult part would be mapping the permissions from PunBB to Gallery. Also, I'm not quite sure how flexible the HTML is, but I know Gallery now uses CSS for basic styling (with tables) so adapting the design to your website (or to a default PunBB look) shouldn't be too difficult.

Well, I am still working on the php part. If all fails, I'll guess I will modify the cookie system of punnb and gallery to work together. That way, users only have to log in once.

Do, or do not.

Has any progress been made on this project?  It would be great to be able to integrate PunBB and Gallery so they have the same look!  I was going to install the Coppermine software that my web host provides but if I can integrate "Gallery" with PunBB I'll hold off and install it instead.

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com

still trying man. Its harder then it seems.

Do, or do not.