Topic: Problem with writing cyrillic

When I try to post reply in cyrillic, I receive this message :
Info

Messages must not contain only capital letters and special characters in this forum.

I can write in cyrilic only if I am administrator. In lang/en/en_common.php, encoding is set to :

'lang_encoding'            =>    'windows-1251',

Are there more places where I should change encoding? Is the problem in MySQL (but when I'm administrator and I post in cyrillic, it all works).

jUzt m3 ...

Re: Problem with writing cyrillic

????? ?????? ???????

? ????, ??? ?????? 1.0.1 ? ?????? ????????? ? post.php

????:

!preg_match("/([a-z])/",$subject)

???????? ??:

!preg_match("/([a-z?-?])/",$subject)

?.?. ???????? ??????? ???????? ?????. ? ???? ??????.
?? ???? ?????? ?????? ?????? ?? ??????.

? ???? ????????? ???-8, ??, ?????, ??? ?? ?????????????.

P.S. ??????, ??? ???? ?? ??????. :-)

Big Brother is not watching you, Big Brother is testing you

What is the correct encoding for russian? Is it windows-1251? Does that apply to the whole of russia?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by nyuk 2004-03-17 13:22)

In Russia more 6 encoding tables. The most popular: windows-1251 and koi8-r.

http://php.net/convert_cyr_string

Hmm, ok. Is that a problem for PunBB users?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes. Without fixes Not all works correctly.

I solved the problem with kind a stupid decision ... Just :
    // else if ($pun_config['p_message_all_caps'] == '0' && strtoupper($message) == $message && $cur_user['status'] < PUN_MOD)
    //    message($lang_post['No caps message']);

I think this is not the best decision but I need forum now and don't have a lot of time to think for another decision. By the way thiz forum is very good made and I think you should "Keep developing" ... And success smile

jUzt m3 ...

Instead of commenting out code, you should just be able to disable the two features "All caps message" and "All caps subject" in admin/permissions. That should do the trick.

Thanks, it works ... Is the forum check for SMTP service when posting, because I found it don't work with fake mail servers (for example b1tchX@rtfm.com) or why it gives me message for mail that don't exists  ... And why does the forum don't update number of posting, when I deleted one of moderators` postings, it continue ti show his old number.

jUzt m3 ...

blade wrote:

Is the forum check for SMTP service when posting, because I found it don't work with fake mail servers (for example b1tchX@rtfm.com) or why it gives me message for mail that don't exists

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.

blade wrote:

And why does the forum don't update number of posting, when I deleted one of moderators` postings, it continue ti show his old number.

Because the post counter displays the number of posts a user has made, not the number of posts that are currently in the database.

11 (edited by adsh 2004-04-09 00:55)

There is no problem with post reply in cyrillic. After installing ru-lang pack with this code in ru_common.php:

// Determine what locale to use
switch (PHP_OS)
{
    case 'WINNT':
    case 'WIN32':
        $locale = 'russian';
        break;

case 'FreeBSD':
    case 'NetBSD':
    case 'OpenBSD':
        $locale = 'ru_RU.CP1251';
        break;

default:
        $locale = 'ru_RU';
        break;
}

// Attempt to set the locale (required for fulltext indexing to work correctly)
setlocale(LC_CTYPE, $locale);

// Language definitions for frequently used strings
$lang_common = array(

// Text orientation and encoding
'lang_direction'        =>    'ltr',    // ltr (Left-To-Right) or rtl (Right-To-Left)
'lang_encoding'            =>    'windows-1251',
'lang_multibyte'        =>    false,

Forum works fine with russian without this pack, when you set default encoding CP1251 in MySQL config (or - at compiling).

If I change $locale = 'russian' with my local language, I suggest it should work also.

jUzt m3 ...

$locale = 'russian'

is Win32 option in code above. Are you use Windows smile?

My 5 cents: this page contain such a tag:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

So, russian text is unreadable, as the example, in Netscape 4.
Latest versions of Mozilla & IE can ignore this html tag, and they can overwrite it, but this is incorrect to hard setup charset for the multilanguage forum.

DmitryM: True. However, a page must have a charset declaration to validate, so we don't have much choice.

Rickard>  True. However, a page must have a charset declaration to validate, so we don't have much choice.

No, charset can be missed. Not by standards, but this is life... wink
A webbrowser will select a default charset, so a surfer can be read all texts with his native language. And will not have any problems to change charset on multilanguage pages.

Multilanguage pages can contain many languages on one html page (as in our case). The charset should be omitted on such pages. This will not corrupt the content of page.

I'm sorry, but the russian forums are here because they were requested. I'm not going to remove the charset declaration and break the validation because it causes problems with old Netscape versions.

Òî æå ìíå, ðóññêèé ôîðóì...

i add to config.php

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1256');

see that
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3717

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.