Topic: Php - Mod Approach

Hi, I am new to the board.   Just installed and really like the product....but like everything else...i want to tweak.

I want to incorporate some of my own code....but I want to keep the integrity of the punbb packages intact so that i can easily keep up with new releases.

For instance, I would like to add some drop downs in the posts or creating an external table that would contain more detailed profile. 

Any suggestions as to how i can do mods and still not mess up a great program?

Thanks, Michael

Re: Php - Mod Approach

I'm planning on writing some documentation for modders. Can't give you any nice suggestions right now though.

Re: Php - Mod Approach

kpimichael wrote:

Hi, I am new to the board.   Just installed and really like the product....but like everything else...i want to tweak.

I want to incorporate some of my own code....but I want to keep the integrity of the punbb packages intact so that i can easily keep up with new releases.

For instance, I would like to add some drop downs in the posts or creating an external table that would contain more detailed profile. 

Any suggestions as to how i can do mods and still not mess up a great program?

Thanks, Michael

A simple solution is to keep as much code as possible in your own files, and then include the files in the PunBB-code. I've done this is PunPoll and the personal message system, and It's _alot_ easier to install now! (PunPoll went from 60 to 40 steps by doing this and merge some steps.)