Topic: XHTML 1.0 STRICT valid PunBB

I have modified ALL PunBB 1.1.4 files to use CSS better, and to be fully XHTML 1.0 STRICT valid.

Here's an example:

http://forum.blogcms.com/

I have made it to look same as BLOG:CMS homepage:

http://blogcms.com/

If you are interested in this mod, let me know, I'll put download file on sourceforge.net.

Re: XHTML 1.0 STRICT valid PunBB

Would have been easier to wait for 1.2. But it doesn't use strict I think. Anyway... Nice colors :)

3 (edited by Paul 2004-06-25 00:01)

Jansson wrote:

Would have been easier to wait for 1.2. But it doesn't use strict I think. Anyway... Nice colors smile

1.2 uses transitional but only because it supports target=_blank. Otherwise it would validate as strict or even 1.1

BTW: Nice blog and forum

You could use little javascript combined with css to make a strictly validated site with pop up capabilities.
Let me know if you want me to dig it up for you.

I've made available whole mod for download, here's more info:

http://forum.blogcms.com/viewtopic.php?id=226

sverrir wrote:

You could use little javascript combined with css to make a strictly validated site with pop up capabilities.

Wouldn't there be a problem more and more webbrowsers blocking popups then?

Jansson wrote:
sverrir wrote:

not really, as popup blockers do NOT block windows opened by user action.. wink

8 (edited by sverrir 2004-06-25 11:26)

rADo stole the words from my mouth big_smile

The bottom line is there is no pressing reason to validate as strict particularly when it means altering existing functionality (subject to further instructions from the boss man). The only people who are likely to be bothered by this are those who want to integrate PunBB into a site that already validates as strict. In that case they will certainly have the know how to make the appropriate changes as rADo has demostrated.

rADo wrote:
Jansson wrote:
sverrir wrote:

not really, as popup blockers do NOT block windows opened by user action.. ;)

As far as I know, my firefox versions blocks all kinds of javascript popup (onload or clicked) if I haven't unbloked the site. Maybe there is some preferences to edit but this is the default behaivor.

Why go with strict other than to improve "coolness factor"? Writing valid code is of course a must, but as far as I can see, the strict DTD doesn't add or improve on anything. Am I wrong?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Why go with strict other than to improve "coolness factor"? Writing valid code is of course a must, but as far as I can see, the strict DTD doesn't add or improve on anything. Am I wrong?

yes, you are wrong.. some people may want to integrate their forum as a XML application, and XHTML 1.0 STRICT can do that, while Transitional cannot.. wink

anyway, 1.1.4 is HORRIBLE with CSS usage, don't get me wrong, it is a very nice and fast script, this is why I selected it for BLOG:CMS, but.. there are TONS of unnecessary presentational tags in PHP code..

You may want to consider using my, heavily adjusted, 1.1.8 version instead of 1.2, and migrate your own adjustments smile

rADo wrote:

anyway, 1.1.4 is HORRIBLE with CSS usage, don't get me wrong, it is a very nice and fast script, this is why I selected it for BLOG:CMS, but.. there are TONS of unnecessary presentational tags in PHP code..

You may want to consider using my, heavily adjusted, 1.1.8 version instead of 1.2, and migrate your own adjustments :)

I've told you before that PunBB 1.2 will have completely new markup/css (courtesy of Paul).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ok, I see, can I download somewhere this dev version?

rADo wrote:

ok, I see, can I download somewhere this dev version?

Absolutely not.

Paul wrote:

Absolutely not.

huh, why not? for GNU GPL system... wink all my mods, like backup/restore, RSS 2.0 of latest posts, XHTML 1.0 STRICT templates, etc. are available for immediate download..

as BLOG:CMS has quite a lot of users, I would expect PunBB developers to be interested in PunBB : BLOG:CMS connection . I've coded a plugin for BLOG:CMS which allows to create users from BLOG:CMS in PunBB automatically and expect quite a hit of PunBB new installations when mass-mailings will be sent to subscribers..

17 (edited by Paul 2004-06-26 02:12)

Because it's not finished and there still some browser testing to do as well as some accessability testing (hopefully with Jaws or at least Homepage reader). Validation is the easy bit. Getting rid of tables was also fairly easy. Trying to make it semantic, accessible and solid across browsers is not so easy.

well, if I'm offering PunBB BLOG:CMS edition to my users, don't you think I *am* very interested in where is PunBB going? Not to make untested 1.2 available for masses, just for myself to see it. Especially new interface / API for plugins.

BLOG:CMS has an excellent plugin API, it's parser calls 70 events to which plugins can subscribe.. It is an important concept.

So, to summarize, I'd appreciate a link to current 1.2, just for my internal purposes.

You will have to talk to Rickard about seeing his dev code.

Paul wrote:

You will have to talk to Rickard about seeing his dev code.

btw, this might inpire you, this is a developer documentation for BLOG:CMS and its events for plugins:

http://blogcms.com/nucleus/documentatio … ugins.html

is something like that being done for PunBB?

21 (edited by Paul 2004-06-26 03:00)

I very much doubt it. Anyway, I wouldn't know, I'm just bashing out the xhtml and css.

BTW. I have to admit, the plugin system looks rather tasty. If I every need a CMS I will know where to look.

I've said it before and I will say it again. I'M WORKING ON IT! It's not like PunBB is the only thing I do all day. I will setup a means of downloading the latest development code. Just give me a little time.

Rickard, if you need, i can setup CVS at BLOG:CMS (sourceforge.net) for PunBB right now. I think there is quite a need to see latest and greatest code wink

Or, register PunBB at sf.net, it takes about 24 hours to get approved.

I have bigger plans. I want a full project development environment with bug tracker, feature requests, source code web interface, task list etc. I've been having problems installing Trac though (missing Subversion python bindings that I just can't seem to get installed), so I just might scrap it all together and take the low road (SF). We'll see.

aha, I see. Anyway, all this has sourceforge.net to offer, and for free. CVS, bug tracker, downloads, mirrors, forums, different modules, etc., etc.

and you do not have to configure anything, just subscribe...