Topic: PunBB 1.2 Mod API?

Hi Rickard.

I'm guessing v 1.2 is at least some ways along the dev path...  so do you have any specs or APIs on how you plan on making mods / plugins easier?

This would prove quite useful for both those with mods and wanting to develop them.

Thanks,

Paul.

Re: PunBB 1.2 Mod API?

Well, not really. Writing up an API isn't something I was planning. Also, I don't believe it would be difficult to implement some kind of plugin system for mods, but I don't think it's a feature that suits PunBB. There will be an admin module feature though. What this means is that you can drop a script in a directory somewhere and it will pop up in the admin interface. It will make life a lot easier for mods that need an admin page.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

What this means is that you can drop a script in a directory somewhere and it will pop up in the admin interface. It will make life a lot easier for mods that need an admin page.

Nice, I like that. So I guess it will appear as a new menu option along the top.

Not really. In 1.2, the admin interface will look a bit different. It will have a navigation menu to the left instead of the links at the top. At least I think it will :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Not really. In 1.2, the admin interface will look a bit different. It will have a navigation menu to the left instead of the links at the top. At least I think it will smile

Still undecided? Personally, I like options along the top, more screen real estate for the content body. The only downside is running out of room for options along the top.

In punBB's case, it wouldn't matter since the admin screens are light and content is not entered via the screens, only parameters.

Vertical is better if for no other reason than it is more flexible. Start adding too much to a horizontal menu and it will wrap. Horizontal navigation spread over two or more lines does not look good. It also makes it easier to subdivide items e.g a main section for standard items and a second section containing the dropped in items.

also having it at the side looks messy if you use PunBB within a site that uses frames tongue

.: AbstracT :.

While this topic is active again, there is one thing I would like to note and that is the fact that $cur_user and $cookie have been merged into one array, $pun_user. What this means is that $pun_user contains all information on the currently logged in user. If the user isn't logged in, it contains default values for most user options (such as how many topics to display on each page). Having everything in one array makes more sense and will make integration with PunBB a little less complicated.

you can't really have a module system for forum mods as they tend to affect every possible part of the forum

AbstracT wrote:

also having it at the side looks messy if you use PunBB within a site that uses frames tongue

.: AbstracT :.

Frames. Ah yes now I remember. People used to use those back in the 20th Century smile

lol the only time frames were used was when half the internet didn't support them tongue