Topic: Problem with new topics.

I install in two sites punBB, just trying and playing with it... and I have the same problem, that I also have in this forum. I get into the forum, I see the "new topic" icon, I go to the subforum, to the topic and I read it... then I back to the main forum and the icon it's still there.

I'm using Firefox 0.8, and I don't have this kind of problem with others forums.

Re: Problem with new topics.

The icon disappears when you leave the forum (or stay inactive) for a specified amount of time (visit timeout in admin/options). It's the way vBulletin 2 and a lot of other discussion boards work.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

It's meant to be that way. The topic is "new" in 600sec by default. There is no beautiful solution to the problem.

The icon signifies new posts since your last visit not whether you have read the post.

That was clever, three replies within 24 seconds of each other.

Ok!! I see it.... I don't know if I like it... I used to think in read and unread topics... but it's the way it's planned.... now I understand why one of my suggestion it's imposible to do.

Thanks.

All my users don't like smile

Me too in fact

but it's not the important : fast, simple, it's important, and pun is great for this

Yes, the common solutions to the "problem" are too ugly and too bloated to even consider for PunBB. The funny thing is that vBulletin 2, one of the most popular discussion boards on the web, works identically to PunBB, but I have never heard any complaints about it in any vB forums.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

In fact, I was BEFORE on phpBB, and when you visited, hop, the newest topic read ... more practice, in fact ( no ? )

Yes, but phpBB is a whole different thing. PunBB doesn't attempt to compete with phpBB. phpBB is huge, PunBB isn't :)

Rickard wrote:

The funny thing is that vBulletin 2, one of the most popular discussion boards on the web, works identically to PunBB, but I have never heard any complaints about it in any vB forums.

I neve used a vBulletin 2... I always used a phpBB or the forums hosted by www.miarroba.com.

Juan.Llanos wrote:
Rickard wrote:

The funny thing is that vBulletin 2, one of the most popular discussion boards on the web, works identically to PunBB, but I have never heard any complaints about it in any vB forums.

I neve used a vBulletin 2... I always used a phpBB or the forums hosted by www.miarroba.com.

I don't doubt that a second. vBulletin is still a lot more popular than phpBB though.

Just an idle thought. There is no simple way of doing anything about the icon. However. it would be easy enough to style the [new post] text with A:visited to give a visual clue as to what had been read. In fact if you used A:visited {display:none} then it would just vanish.

I wonder what would happen if the icon was made a link with the same destination and class as the [new post] text. Maybe they would both vanish.

This way you get visual feedback which is what most people are after without any coding.

Well, it would work if people only visit the link once. You do want to see the image the second time you visit a page... (or does the visit-thing "resets" when the browser is restarted?)

All I was thinking about was where somebody is faced with a long list of new posts in viewforum. I thought a simple indicator of which ones had been read might be useful. Thats what A:visited was created for in the first place. It has become fashionable to style A:link and A:visited the same because links are used for navigation but this is a case where the old fashioned approach might actually help. The same could be said of links in search results.

There is actually no need to get rid of the image or anything else. Changing the colour of [new posts] or going from bold to normal would probably be enough of an indicator. In fact if you just left the default behaviour of A:visited most people would recognise it.

16 (edited by Frank H 2004-07-28 18:47)

hmm... good thought there Paul ...

2 different classes

1 class with link and visited different looking to each others
1 class with link and visited looking like the 1st visited ...

wouldn't that solve the whole problem?
So when you put that icon there, you also use the first class, othervise the 2nd?

This way you probably won't have any problems with that reading posts from two different browsers will affect how it's viewed (as you need to read stuff, run to another computer, and read the same forum before the timeout occurs)

Ohhh, NOW I see why it work :)

You have different links for each new post in the topic-list! Like this:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=18156#18156

I think it's a great idea! :D

Paul wrote:

There is actually no need to get rid of the image or anything else. Changing the colour of [new posts] or going from bold to normal would probably be enough of an indicator. In fact if you just left the default behaviour of A:visited most people would recognise it.

Why not remove it completely? Maybe change to a "gray" image instead.

Another problem is the image on the first page...

Once you have put a class on it then it is up to the designer to do it how they like. You are right. There is nothing that can be done about the icon on index but I didn't see that as being a usability problem.

But what about when you return to the site the next time? Then some topics will appear as if you had already read them, even though they may contain new posts you haven't read.

I knew there had to be a catch. The only way around that one is to append either a timestamp or the id of the new post to the link so it is a unique link each time. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Paul wrote:

I knew there had to be a catch. The only way around that one is to append either a timestamp or the id of the new post to the link so it is a unique link each time. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Yeah, exactly what I was trying to explain :)

Chacmool wrote:

Well, it would work if people only visit the link once. You do want to see the image the second time you visit a page... (or does the visit-thing "resets" when the browser is restarted?)

An id or somehing sounds okay. I think this solution is way better than any other "cookie-solution" that has been mentioned earlier.

As the section of code that handles all of this in viewforum uses the last_post id couldn't that be appended to the [new posts] link in some form. If there have been new posts since the last visit then the last_post id is bound to be different so it will be a new link. Are there any problems in passing unused parameters in links?

Not really. It's kind of ugly, but definately doable.

Paul wrote:

As the section of code that handles all of this in viewforum uses the last_post id couldn't that be appended to the [new posts] link in some form. If there have been new posts since the last visit then the last_post id is bound to be different so it will be a new link.

I've implemented this and it seems to work fine. One problem is that viewtopic does a "header redirect", and then it's not checked as visited by the browsers. Changing the redirect to use meta-refresh instead solves the problem, but it's quite ugly (the page loads twice).

Edit: It also looks weird to have lines without the icon when pressing "Show unanswered posts". Though, this lines can probably be removed completely in v1.2 when we have more markup.