1 (edited by Paul 2004-09-24 17:54)

Topic: Web Developer Checklist

For those using XHTML/CSS this is a useful checklist
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/checklist.cfm

While you are at it take a look at the "Presentations" section on the same site for a lot of useful tutorials/articles

Re: Web Developer Checklist

Nice list.

By "Does the site have a favicon?" I hope he means: If it does, remove it! favicons are evil. I hate them :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

This is what he says, and its news to me

"Favicons are definitely not critical. However, if they are not present, they can cause 404 errors in your logs (site statistics). Browsers like IE will request them from the server when a site is bookmarked. If a favicon isn't available, a 404 error may be generated. Therefore, having a favicon could cut down on favicon specific 404 errors. The same is true of a 'robots.txt' file. "

I think worrying about the contents of ones log file is probably taking things a bit far. I don't like them much either.

I filter out those requests from my logs. For example:

SetEnvIf Request_URI "favicon\.ico" dontlog
SetEnvIf Request_URI "robots\.txt" dontlog

CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!dontlog

Edit: While we're at it, I also filter out "myself" from the logs. Like so:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "192\.168\.0" dontlog
SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "127\.0\.0\.1" dontlog

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Paul wrote:

I think worrying about the contents of ones log file is probably taking things a bit far.

Maybe I'm an extremist but I check the 404 logs and try to clean up as much as I can. If not, the error log becomes useless for debugging purposes.

I did add favicon.ico and robots.txt to all my sites.

I have to be honest. I have never looked in a log file but thats probably because I'm not running my own server. Maybe I should have a quick peek.

Rickard: You have email and a message at the other place.

just add the firefox logo as your favicon to annoy IE users

Rickard wrote:

Nice list.

By "Does the site have a favicon?" I hope he means: If it does, remove it! favicons are evil. I hate them smile

Why do you hate them?

Well, considering that this site now has a favicon, I'll "plead the fifth" on that one smile

D9r wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Nice list.

By "Does the site have a favicon?" I hope he means: If it does, remove it! favicons are evil. I hate them smile

Why do you hate them?

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say because they are TOO mainstream/cliche. tongue

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

i hate favicons cos they cause so many 404 errors tongue

>> "this site now has a favicon"
It does?  It isn't showing for me - Mozilla 1.5, IE6.

http://punbb.org/forums/favicon.ico
http://punbb.org/forums/favicon.ico
tongue

Oh, that's so cute -- you gotta love it.  How can you not like favicons when you see a thing like that? wink

well thats why rickard changed his mind wink