Topic: GBrowser soon ...

Google Soon To Release Gbrowser

As the New York Post reports, it looks like Google plans to launch its own Web browser and other software products to challenge Microsoft.

?Based on the half-dozen hires in recent weeks, Google appears to be planning to launch its own Web browser and other software products to challenge Microsoft.

"Google has wooed Joshua Bloch, one of the main developers of the Internet programming language Java, from Sun Microsystems.

"The company also hired four people who worked on Microsoft's Web browser, Internet Explorer, and later founded their own company. One of them, Adam Bosworth, is credited with being a driving force not only behind IE, but Microsoft's database-management program, Access.

"Most recently, Google grabbed Joe Beda, the lead developer on Avalon, Microsoft's code name for the user interface that will part of the next version of Windows, called Longhorn."

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/ar … wser.phtml

Re: GBrowser soon ...

The Network is the Computer, Larry was right.

Or so the rumour says. I'll believe it when I can download it (which I won't).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

However, google is became the first tool engine of the web ... if on their very simple interface, they invite to download a new browser ... there are a lot of chances to implement it quicky.

But ... but ... why create concurrence against microsoft instead of working of the dev' of Gecko/Mozilla browsers ?

Arf ...

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn nuisance, just another browser to complicate designing for cross browser compatability.

Paul wrote:

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn nuisance, just another browser to complicate designing for cross browser compatability.

I wouldn't worry too much about that though. Changes are they will just use Gecko or "that other one" (the engine Safari uses).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Or so the rumour says. I'll believe it when I can download it (which I won't).

i find that very offencive.....

ill download it and try it, then unistall it and go back to my beloed FirFox big_smile

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Firefox is the best ... simply.

Since the death on NS4, we have AT LEAST a beginning of cross browser compatibility (javascript, dhtml, css (arghh no CSS !) ...) stop the browsers smile

9 (edited by Todd 2004-09-25 22:35)

Well, I love Firefox.  However, I also hate almost everything that comes from M$.  So if Google can bring more competition to the table for M$ to worry about... the more power to them.

I'm sick of M$ controlling the computer universe... its time to see some other major players have a say..... and then a real environment of innovation will exist.

I will be a Firefox user for a long time no matter who makes what.... its hard to improve upon perfection (yeah... maybe a bit too melodramatic.... but you just gotta love Firefox!)

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

google are in a pretty powerful position to market anything they want... just as long as they don't turn evil we'll be ok

Todd wrote:

I'm sick of M$ controlling the computer universe...

They control the universe of the clueless.

On my sites, IE browser share has been dropping for the last few months.

September:
MS Internet Explorer 67.9 %
FireFox    17.5 %

Once IE is below 50%, I'm not going to care about testing my sites in IE.

hcgtv wrote:

They control the universe of the clueless.

On my sites, IE browser share has been dropping for the last few months.

September:
MS Internet Explorer 67.9 %
FireFox    17.5 %

Once IE is below 50%, I'm not going to care about testing my sites in IE.

My favorite line from Star Wars comes to mind...

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers"

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Connorhd wrote:

google are in a pretty powerful position to market anything they want... just as long as they don't turn evil we'll be ok

I agree!

Btw this is also a nice tool from google (http://toolbar.google.com/deskbar/)