Topic: web hosting

I am trying to host a small forum. I registered domain name . I am trying to use my mediacom high speed connection to setup my site.

But I am not sure that this is viable option or not

any advise, guidence wld be helpful

Re: web hosting

I use an ADSL connection to host my sites. My connection is 1500/256, no speed issues to speak of.

I started with dyndns.org then moved to zonedit.com to use my own domain names.

I use an update client called ddclient, a perl app, to update my ip address when it changes. My server is running debian linux but there are update clients for Windows also.

So it can be done, it's just a matter of setting it all up.

Thanks - can you give some more details. For testing this I am planning to use my laptop. I have linux and w2k on it.

I have one more layer of complexity, I have a wireless router also.

My domain name registrar is godaddy.com,  I know I need to update the ip address or something else there.

On the laptop, I would use Linux to host the site. Keep in mind that it's better to have a dedicated server, a used Pentium with a 2gb drive and 64mb of memory is sufficient for a test machine. My server cost me $25 at a local government surplus store. Then use the laptop to adminster and test the whole setup.

I have a linksys router, port 80 gets forwarded to my server's internal IP address. I would presume it would be the same for a wireless router.

Let's say you use zonedit.com, once you setup your account you will be given 2 dns servers to use. At godaddy.com, you'll need to update your domain's dns servers with the ones given to you at zonedit. It takes a couple of days for the dns servers to get properly updated.

Thats it, other than configuring Apache and your Linux server.

How much bandwidth would be sufficient for a small forum. Is the Cable connection is ample to do this?. At least for the first 6 months.

unless you have an extremely popular website residential bandwidth should be plenty, especially for a forum with such little requierments as punbb. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

how does dyndns works ?

if I have a xyz.org registered to my name, how do I associate it to my computer.

what do I do with dyndsn ?

dyndns.org has some documentation about their service, I guess that's the best way to get correct info wink

(I use it, but have a static IP, so I don't need any programs that update my IP, people that have different IP's need a little util that will tell the dns server what ip you have)