Topic: VBulletin 3.x ==> PunBB Converter?

Hello--
I'm really looking to get away from the VBulletin crowd and was interested in using PunBB on a site of mine but noticed there are no converters for switching from VBulletin 3.x. I was wondering if anyone could make one or if one has already been released?

Regards,
Maverick

Re: VBulletin 3.x ==> PunBB Converter?

It's made, but not released.

I'm about to release new versions of all converter soon, just some small work left to do first. It would be great if you would like to try the first beta though :) Download it [url=]here[/url].

Oh, and btw, the passwords can not be converted, as vBulletin and PunBB handles them differently.

Edit: Url removed. Download from punbb's downloadsection instead.

This converter will convert everything but the passwords? How would people login if nobody has passwords? Could you fill me in on this before I go testing.

They will have to use the "Forgotten your password?"-function to have their passwords sent by mail (not their own password, but a new generated one).

I've had some thoughs of making a mod that removes this problem... don't know if I'll ever make it though.

Alright, I've install the poll mod and the PM mod as well. I'm about to try and convert the database. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :)

Btw, polls are converted, but not the private messages.

Alright, I came across a problem. I uploaded all the files to the server and installed the mentioned addons successfully. I've provided the vb3 database name and table prefix, but for some reason when I go to proceed it says it can't find the database?

An error was encountered
PunBB reported: Unable to find database: my-database-name-here

Any ideas?

Ops, sorry the problem wasn't with the converter... apparently I had the table prefix wrong. Anyhow, I recommend this converter to anyone that needs to get away from VBulletin 3.

Chacmool wrote:

They will have to use the "Forgotten your password?"-function to have their passwords sent by mail (not their own password, but a new generated one).

I've had some thoughs of making a mod that removes this problem... don't know if I'll ever make it though.

but how could you do this? if the passes are encrypted, there is no way to decrypt them. you could brute force each and everyone, but that would take yearsfor one user. i think it was smart to even use the Forgot your password for thid.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

It could work something like PunBB has right now with MD5 and SHA1 (or w/e it uses, don't remember if that's right)
If the password is stored as an MD5 hash but the server can use SHA1, then when you login it converts your password (based on the password you enter, as long as it matches of course)

Exactly.

I'll have to save the salt in punbb's database, and slowly convert all user passwords as they login. It works like this: (PunBB don't use three steps, it's just three different ways depending on which is availible)

// vBulletin
md5(md5($password) . $salt);

// PunBB
1. sha1($password);
2. mhash($password);
3. md5($password);