Topic: can PunBB do this?

I have a site with a glossary of terms. Each term is served up from a mysql db and has its own page. What I want to do is have a discussion board (or page/forum) for each term either on the term's own page or linked to from there. New terms are added dynamically and the BB system must be able to create a new forum for each automatically THere are thousands of terms and obviously I can not have a separate BB  application for each term. Can PunBB do this? Here is a list of what I want.

1. Separate forum that shows up on its own page for each term. (ability to link to a single forum from a webpage).
2. Ability to have forums created automatically by a simple PHP script.
3. Ability to acommodate thousands of Forums. Each with only a few posts.
4. Ability to show most recent posts for each term on that term's page (i.e away from the BB itself).

tHANKS. PunBB looks like a great BB. I hope I can use it.

emk

Re: can PunBB do this?

is a forum the correct approach for this? would you not be better just having a simple comments system?

That certainly looks like either a knowledgebase system or a faq with comments system. In any case, why a whole forum for earch term. Why not have forums divided up alphabetically and then have each term as a topic in the appropriate forum.

Connorhd wrote:

is a forum the correct approach for this? would you not be better just having a simple comments system?

The reason I'm thinking of a forum is that I want threaded discussions for different topics under each term/item.

thanks
emk

5 (edited by emk 2004-11-12 20:29)

Paul wrote:

That certainly looks like either a knowledgebase system or a faq with comments system. In any case, why a whole forum for earch term. Why not have forums divided up alphabetically and then have each term as a topic in the appropriate forum.

I did consider just this. But I need diiferent topics under each term. e.g One of the uses I have in mind is a discussion of personal names. So if you have a name like  say "Annan" there are a number of discussion topics possible: what is its origin, its history, who carries it now etc each with its own threaded discussions.

Thanks
emk

P.S I'm currently diving into the PunBB code to see whether I can hack it. Unlike other BB systems I've looked at. It just might be possible to do this

maybe you would be better making your own system (possibly basing some of it on punbbs code) to do something like a add thread to the bottom of each term and that creating a new topic on the "forum" (so topics are only created when needed) then the id of the topic and the id of the term are saving in the db, when you view the term it picks up the ids of the topics and lists them, you can then click on them and it views them in the forum, the topics could go into one forum and would only be created when needed

7 (edited by dmz 2004-11-13 01:47)

Are you trying to reproduce Wikipedia?

Edit: read this wiki software