Topic: Multiple group membership

Just installed 1.2-beta and the first thing i really miss is that a user can't be member of more than one group.. really irritating if you for example have > 1 forums that are restricted to a group and some users need access to > 1 of these..

one way to do it is like VB does: you have one column (usergroupid) for the primary user group and another column (membergroupids) with a comma separated list of other groups..

Re: Multiple group membership

All I can say is that if you really need such a feature, you're gonna have to go with a different bulletin board. There are lots of things that PunBB lacks that would be useful in some forums, but it has to stop somewhere.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ok, will you add it if i submit a patch?

Maybe you should write it as a mod, that way people who want it could use it, but people who didn't could use the current system.

I like soup.

That wasn't what I meant. I meant that most people want PunBB to remain light and fast and that the more features we add, the further away from that we end up. I suspect very few of PunBB's current users will have any use for the feature you speak of and that will make it a hard sell. You should know I was sceptical towards adding the user groups at all initially.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by noof 2005-01-06 16:40)

Cornflake wrote:

Maybe you should write it as a mod, that way people who want it could use it, but people who didn't could use the current system.

true.. i'll submit it if i end up using punbb then..

Rickard wrote:

That wasn't what I meant. I meant that most people want PunBB to remain light and fast and that the more features we add, the further away from that we end up. I suspect very few of PunBB's current users will have any use for the feature you speak of and that will make it a hard sell. You should know I was sceptical towards adding the user groups at all initially.

yeah, i read about how you wanted punBB, but i thought you liked user groups since you added them, and my suggestion would "just" add 1 extra column/user and a few lines of php.. but i know, that's what everyone says smile