1 (edited by Talikar 2005-02-06 22:47)

Topic: Smiley bug?

Again, not sure if this was posted, my apologies if it was.

Anyway, if a smiley is right after text it doesn't display the smiley, for example:
no:(
no:)
ao:(
wtf:)
wtf:(
Test:(
Test:)

It does however work if only one letter is before it:
a:)
a:(
o:)
o:(

Note: Using FireFox 1.0+
Note2: Happens to my brother as well, he's using regular FireFox 1.0 (not the + version).

Re: Smiley bug?

Thats how its supposed to work I think. If it didn't how would you type
example:(1)

It's tricky. You can't just search and replace the post for the different smilies. If you do that, you run the risk of messing up post contents with "unintentional" smilies. PunBB makes an educated guess what should be displayed as an emoticon and what shouldn't. Actually, PunBB works better in that respect than some other forums. E.g, neither IPB nor phpBB show any smilies at all with a message like that. vBulletin manages to display them all though.

On a related note, "emoticons" are the scourge of the earth and all attempts at eradicating them should be applauded.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ah ok, thanks for the replies you 2, how it's set up makes sense now. smile

One question, would it be possible to change it to allow smileys anywhere? Lets say I changed the smiley line (in the parser) to make it so you need a space before the smiley, that way if you want one it would be less likeing to have an effect before Example:(1) wouldn't do anything (since it would have to be Example :(1) for the smiley to work, and I doubt most people would put a space inbetween Example and :.

BTW I'm using Rickards Easy BBCode modification, so it would be better if someone selected a smiley in there and it would work in all cases. wink

Maybe prefixing all smilies with a space in the easy bbcode mod is a better solution?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

7 (edited by Talikar 2005-02-06 23:49)

Hm, ok, sorry, that does make a lot more sense. Thanks... (Rickard, you aren't suppose to make me a complete idiot lol)

Note: Ok did that, works like a charm, thanks.

Rickard wrote:

On a related note, "emoticons" are the scourge of the earth and all attempts at eradicating them should be applauded.

After a comment like this I'm not sure I want to ask my question tongue

Anyway, my smilies aren't working and never have worked. ver. 1.2.6 no plugins, mods or anything.

They're on (and say they're on in the posting screen).  I did a view source on a page (with what shoud be a smily) thinking that what would show is a bad link with the alternate text being a smily (but it wasn't).

The only think I can think could possbily be a/the problem is this domain is an addon domain to another domain so it's root directory isn't public_html/forum, it's public_html/domain/forum instaead (though I don't know how or why that'd be a problem).

I turned on guest posting incase someone wanted to see it for themselves:
http://www.taiwanbjj.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20

It's not a problem at all really, but I just like it better when things work.

Its working for me, I see a smilie at the end of the second post. Are you sure viewing smilies as images is enabled under the display options in your own profile?

Paul wrote:

Its working for me, I see a smilie at the end of the second post. Are you sure viewing smilies as images is enabled under the display options in your own profile?

Slowly backs out of PunBB forum with tail between his legs...

Thanks!  Figured it was something simple like that, I don't remember turning it off though (but it got "off" somehow).  I'm coming from phpBB where users don't have the option of changing things like that wink.

Thanks again.

I have smilies turned off, makes for a faster display of posts.

phpBB has a similar option: Always enable Smilies:

I have smilies turned off because I'm turned off by smilies :-) No seriously, I like them laying down like they always have.