Topic: Comparing MySQL performance

Comparing MySQL performance
Wednesday February 09, 2005 (02:00 PM GMT)

With the introduction of the 2.6 Linux kernel, FreeBSD-5-STABLE, Solaris 10, and now NetBSD 2.0, you might be wondering which of them offers superior database performance. In my previous article, I discussed the tools I chose to test these venerable operating systems and the methodology by which they were tested. The result is this MySQL performance comparison between OpenBSD 3.6; NetBSD 2.0; FreeBSD 5.3 and 4.10; Solaris Express (build 69); and Linux 2.4 and 2.6 (Gentoo-based). Read on for the results.

Before you skip ahead to the results section, bear one thing in mind: the question this article asks is "how would MySQL perform on these operating systems?" It is not, "Which is the best operating system?" In any benchmarking test, there will winners and losers, but the highest performer in one category for a limited set of tests does not a "best" operating system make. Each operating system has its strengths and weaknesses, and a single benchmark can only show a single strength or weakness with a very limited set of parameters.

Full story