Topic: SHA-1 Broken

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/02/16/0146 … mp;tid=218

o.O

Re: SHA-1 Broken

Mmm, it should be noted that as far as I can see, it hasn't actually been broken: this simply "allows an attacker to generate two streams of data which hash to the same value"

Yes, they found a way to break the hash function. But as the parent said, it does not mean it's suddenly invalid. Sure, the group found a way to break the algorithim, but look at According to TFA a collision can be found in about 2**69 hash operations. That's 590295810358705651712 attempts before they can find a match, as opposed to the 2**80 (1208925819614629174706176) that was expected before the paper.

For some reason, I feel I won't be loosing any sleep over this smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

You mean the thought that in twenty years time a fiendish band of orientals with a super computer will be able to login with your username doesn't worry you. My god, you Swedes don't panic easily do you.

Oh no!
*goes home and downgrades to md5*

I dont really feel like encryption is needed, but it is good to have in case someone hacks into my database. But if they do that all is screwed anyway hmm

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Wow, this seemed a lot more important at 6:41 AM when I was half asleep hmm

Wasn't something like this occuring about 6 months ago with MD5?

Do, or do not.