Topic: Style conflict problem

Hi everyone,
I've installed this script and I find it just great. Anyway, I'm trying to integrate it with my personal website as much as I can and here come the problems.

I use a header with a horizontal navigation bar based on drop down menus. The header file refers to a different css file for the style and I think that this different file interferes with the forum css file. The result is that all the drop-down menus appear in the top left corner of the page on mouseover.

You can see what happens here.

Since I think that there's something I should edit in the css file used by the forum script, is there someone who could tell me what I should edit? Because I really can't figure out...

Thanks in advance,
Mauro

Re: Style conflict problem

The first thing you have to do is get the markup right. The way you have done it you now have two <body> tags which is not good. In Firefox the logo and menu don't show up at all. First correct the markup then look at the css. There are a lot of other errors showing up because the menu system you are using does not conform with the XHTML 1.0 Strict DocType.

3 (edited by mauroed79 2005-02-25 16:40)

Hi Paul,
first of all thanks for replying. I'm not a professional and never really worried of cross-browser compatibility, so forgive me if I ask you what may seem a stupid question. How can I verify which parts of my markup are wrong? Is there an online tool that helps me verify if my code meets XHTML standards? If so, could you please post a link?
Thanks again,
Mauro

4 (edited by erissiva 2005-02-25 17:18)

Actually, yes.
The W3C validator works.

Here is the validation of your site:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% … 2Fforum%2F

Um...226 errors.

The cool thing is that it shows you all the neat little ways to fix what you have wrong.

Don't be too put off by the number of errors showing up. First, many of the errors are because xhtml is case sensitive, in particular things like onMousover should be onmouseover etc. Also errors have a cascade effect. Very often fixing one error at the top will make 200 subsequent errors vanish.

The simple answer for your site might be to change the doctype. While PunBB validates as XHTML 1.0 Strict it doesn't require it to work though it does require a full doctype.

This is true...My old site once had 177 errors until I realized it was because I had "BR" instead of "br", and "A HREF" instead of "a href"

'Twas annoying to go through and change all that stuff.

Hey Hey,
I hate to admit it, but this is really something too big for me... I tried to fix the errors several times, but the validator always gives me the same amount of errors. Then I checked the ATPtennis.com site and found it has more than 500... If it's so, my modest tennis site can freely have 226...
Thanks everybody!
Mauro

Hi,
could someone check if the drop-down menu on my page displays correctly now?

http://stefanstennis.free.fr/forum

I hope I solved the problem. I had to add px next to every parameter, such as menu distance from top and left and border thickness. What a mess... Hope everything is ok now...
Thanks to all the guys who replied. Very useful tips!
Mauro

It doesn't seem to be working for me.
I'm using Firefox 1.0.1.

Anyone know what's up?
Plus, all the links are broken for me.

Hi erissiva,
I fixed the problem with the drop-down menu in Firefox, but I don't know why the sub-menus overlap to the main items of 1or2 pixels.

http://stefanstennis.free.fr/forum

Does it depend on the css file? Note that this only happens in Firefox and not in Opera or I.E.

Sorry if I'm bothering you with this problem, but I'd like to fix it once for all...
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Mauro

That works now, but if you're going to allow the menu main topics to be clickable, you should have them go to a page that includes links to all the pages listed on the menu.

I know that the links don't work. It was just a kind of demo, by now I'm only concerned about the appearance and I want it to be the same in all the browsers. Thanks, Mauro