Topic: IRC Information In User Profile

I think  a section in your profile where you can show what IRC network/server/channel you fequent would be really useful. I made a mock up, so you guys can see what I mean.
http://bassguy.tk/images/irc.jpg

Re: IRC Information In User Profile

I don't think it would be appropriate. IRC is not an IM service, just look at how nicknames are chosen (per-session). Maybe a short bio field where you could type up information like that? Or you could just put it in your sig.

3 (edited by Bassguy 2005-02-26 22:59)

graue wrote:

I don't think it would be appropriate. IRC is not an IM service, just look at how nicknames are chosen (per-session). Maybe a short bio field where you could type up information like that? Or you could just put it in your sig.

NickServ (or analogue there of), anyone? I mean, Jabber doesn't use a universal server, so I don't see why IRC shouldn't be an option. You can /msg in IRC, so I don't see a distinction.

4 (edited by graue 2005-02-26 23:53)

No NickServ or analogues thereof on efnet. (or several smaller networks I've used)

NickServ is a hack: it doesn't prevent someone from using someone else's nickname. The only way to be sure is whois them, and in practice a lot of people won't bother to identify, so that doesn't work either. Then there's everyone who changes their nickname while away. It really isn't the same.

5 (edited by Frank H 2005-02-27 01:16)

you also have Sierra Online, DC, etc. ... but they really doesn't fit either ... and they are in my eyes like IRC...

I'm happy with the current amount

Also, the largest IRC network on the planet, Quakenet, does not have any kind of service in which you can register a nickname.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I disagree, and think it would make complete sense, but if you all don't feel like it... I'll do it myself.

just change Jabber in your language pack?