Topic: Big Database backup and transfer to another server

I am changing my hosting provider and I have to move MySQL Database to the other server. How to do it if the database is 30MB big? When I try to make a backup, it doesn't work sad

Re: Big Database backup and transfer to another server

you should be able to make a backup with either the db plugin or phpmyadmin

Or preferably via the shell using mysqldump.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

phpmyadmin can easily do backups as large as 500mb. I've often done it that way, saving it as a file on my own computer.

Endre: The problem isn't the backup, it's the restore.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Try using the migration tool.
http://punbb.org/download/contrib/PunBB … -1.2.1.zip

hotrod1: That's not what the migration tool is for. It's for migrating from one forum software (e.g. phpBB, vBulletin etc) to PunBB.

I *guess* you *might* be able to make a script on your new server that you can use to copy over the DB, a table at a time. It would connect, generate some queries, exucute them, then ask you to move on to the next step..

Its better then fighting with phpmyadmin because the max exacution time is too low.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Gary thats probably a bad idea, its gonna cause massive load on both servers for along time since its like constant queries, if i was in this situation i would ask one host to make a backup and put it up for me to download then the other host to download and restore it for me tongue

Well, you can download the file through phpmyadmin, cant you?

If you can, try taking the file and splitting the file up so that its like 20 smaller files (one for each table, maybe). Then upload and exacute all the smaller files?

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);