Topic: Resource Repository for Open Source Software

Last couple of days I have been working on this new site Resource Repository for Open Source Software . The Resource Repository is meant to be a place for resources like plugins, mods, styles and such. I really love punBB, so in return I decided to start supporting punBB first, but it will support other software in the future too.

I know there already is punres which does the same, but there are still plenty of differences... And is not meant to be a replacement.

As a resource developer you can add as many resources as you like. And edit as much as you like.

I hope you will all like it. So far the repository contains 2 resources. If the rightful author wishes to take control of those resources please let me know.

Next couple of days new function will be added. Those functions will include search, preview, user ratings and such. So if you browse the site an find strange things or bugs. PLease let me know.

Let me know what you guys think of it.

Re: Resource Repository for Open Source Software

Cool. I like it. The only problem I can see is that with such a repository, there will be multiple places in which to find mods, styles etc.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

How do you mean exactly ??.

With the second draft the repository will look something this.

home
-punBB
--plugins
---admininstration ( a sub category for plugin )
---users
--mods
--hacks
--styles
-Firefox( for instance)

In the next days I will also make a search function. Which is really missing at this point. Strange enough never tought about such a function till today. A bit stupid of me.

4 (edited by Paul 2005-04-17 22:51)

You are suffering from FOUC (flash of unstyled content). See here for the fixes
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/fouc.asp

Other than that, looking good.

I think Rickards point about multiple repositories is that resources will be spread over different webistes. If people are going to make resource sites then wouldn't it be a good idea for them all to link back to each other since the addresses of other resources are themselves a resource.

Paul wrote:

You are suffering from FOUC (flash of unstyled content). See here for the fixes
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/fouc.asp

Other than that, looking good.

I think Rickards point about multiple repositories is that resources will be spread over different webistes. If people are going to make resource sites then wouldn't it be a good idea for them all to link back to each other since the addresses of other resources are themselves a resource.

Thanx for the warning. I applied a fix . But it seems i don't experience the problem with the version of ieplorer I got. Could you confirm if the problem is corrected?

Everything is fine now, much smoother.

thank you. I have never heard of that problem before. I starting to dislike css tongue . It's too bad that there are still so much difference between the browser.

would it not be better to link the downloads to their current site e.g. plugins to punbb (maybe rickard could add bookmarks to the downloads page?) and mods/styles to punres (which is soon to be updated to support styles), otherwise you are simply making another place for people to have to go when then release a mod, and theres already punres and here to post in, if you do run is as a separate site what is the advantage to having it?

Author can link there downloads to there own site. And im working on a feature to upload the plugins and such to the site.

if thats all it is then whats the advantage of your site over punres?

the repository is meant to be a central place to store resources for open source software. Like punBB.
Resource are in this case. plugins , mods , hacks , styles and such.  ANd yes punres does the same but on a different way.

And the repository will support other software later on to.

With the repository you can browse in the different resource categories.
Find information about them.

Currently only a download link. But working on a option to store the files. And working on a option to view the different files.
Preview of the resource -> working on it.
Users Ratings
There will be a compatabilty list. So you can see which versions of punbb are supported.

Authors can add and edit resources with ease.

I hope this will make things a litte bit more clear

hmm, thing is i see no advantage above just having punres for me as the developer or me as the user, i dunno if i'm missing something here

13 (edited by erissiva 2005-04-19 03:32)

Connorhd wrote:

if thats all it is then whats the advantage of your site over punres?

After taking a look at it, I immediately started to like it more than PunRes (no offense...).
The ease of changing/sumitting items is astounding, as is the organizational method.

Because of the organization, it's so much easier to find what you're looking for.

Also, the integration between the front page and the forum is pretty nifty.
Makes discussion and submission much faster.

Orpheus - Keep up the awesome work!

After taking a look at it, I immediately started to like it more than PunRes (no offense...).

Punres is currently being pretty much totally rewritten by Jansson the new one is lot nicer and complete, and i'm not saying his site is worthless i'm just saying it would be better if it linked to the appropriate page on punres or whereever else, that way developers only have to update one place

Also, the integration between the front page and the repository is pretty nifty.

huh? i thought the front page was the repository

Connorhd wrote:

Also, the integration between the front page and the repository is pretty nifty.

huh? i thought the front page was the repository

*lol*

Sorry...I was typing to fast.
I meant repository and forum. tongue

I do like the categorization. Punres should have something similar.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I do like the categorization. Punres should have something similar.

I will not add a plugin category since you already have the plugins at punbb.org. Other than that, I don't know what categories you are talking about. Have I missed something?

I mean an alphabetized list of all mods and styles. Right now, you have to either search or look in the releases-forum.

19 (edited by Jansson 2005-04-19 17:57)

Rickard wrote:

I mean an alphabetized list of all mods and styles. Right now, you have to either search or look in the releases-forum.

Well.. I know it's a bit buggy.. But this feature have been there since PunRes 1.0 wink

http://www.punres.org/punres_browse.php?cid=0

The new browser in 3.1 is a little better though

Ah, my mistake. Just put this list on the front page and I'm happy smile