Topic: Database Backed Up - Now What?

I am planning on installing Mambo on my server but have a question about Punbbs database. My webhost provider only allows me to run one database which I currently use for Punbb. When I go to install Mambo I will need to use the database for that. I am very happy with punbb, and also dont want to lose all my registered users/posts. What do I need to do after I have backed up Punbb?

I assume it will be very complicated lol. When I go to install Mambo it will overwrite all my Punbb database wont it, or will it just add the extra tables needed for Mambo?

I am not allowing users to register with Mambo. The only registrations I want on my site are for the Punbb board smile

Sorry Im rambling, not sure how to word the problem. Anyone able to help? Thanks

Re: Database Backed Up - Now What?

Well, does Mambo allow you to use prefixes for the tables? Were you using prefixes for the PunBB tables?
If either is, then you'll be fine wink

I don't use prefixes for Punbb, but Mambo does use prefixes.

Should I just leave Punbb installed and running (it is uploaded to the FTP in a seperate folder so no files will be overwritten). Because Mambo uses prefixes can I just install it normally?

I assume if I just enter the database name as 'dolls' (same as my punbb) it will add the new tables to the database with the prefixes I specify?

Yup, make sure you use prefixes for Mambo and you'll be fine smile

Thanks, it worked smile new-york-dolls.com now online big_smile

An alternative, to organize things a bit, would be to rename your PunBB tables and then edit your config.php and set a prefix.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I would agree, that way you can be sure what tables belong to what application..  It might save you some trouble in the future...

--
Robert
Administrator
NanoCubeForums.com