Topic: Mailing users from within the forum

Right now, when a user chooses to mail another user from v 1.2.5 the sending users email address is revealed to the recipient.  It seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to use the same email address that's used for sending out forum subscriptions for sending user generated emails.  Those emails would then have a link in them pointing back to the senders profile page on the forum (just like in the email that's generated for admins when a new user registers).

That way users can communicate with each other privately, without dedicating database storage to a private message system and without revealing their email address unless they choose to.

Again, this is something that I can probably make work, but it seems like a basic privacy consideration that many forum operators would appreciate.

Re: Mailing users from within the forum

It is just a small change, but by emailing them you're kind of saying you want a response. There's no need to be so secretive you won't share emails if you want to talk tongue

Squeg didn't you make these posts before somewhere else and i did answer you?

I'm not sure about this. One of the good thing about e-mail is that you can follow the discussion from beginning to end even after the discussion has gone back and forth a couple of trips. This would be lost.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Connorhd wrote:

Squeg didn't you make these posts before somewhere else and i did answer you?

I mentioned them on punRes and you said to bring them here.  I don't believe either of these issues were resolved on punres.

---

As for messages going back and forth in email, that's true, but I value user privacy.  Users can always choose to exchange actual emails or to display those emails on their profile page.  They can also choose to quote whatever they want into new email messages should that be necessary. Personally, I can think of issues where private communication is appropriate but perhaps exchanging email addresses is not.

I'll probably just do this one myself.  I understand that not everyone will want it, I just think it should be a choice.  Private messages really exist so that users don't have to divulge email addresses.  I'd just like to adjust the email system to mimic that functionality without the overhead.