Topic: German translation

Since I will most likely start a PunBB-based forum soon, I looked over the German translation by Eric ("eha") who had based his work on that of Johannes ("schnetm") and found some typos and such which I corrected, mainly unsolved Umlaut-entities. I did also some (minor) rework on style, just differences in taste, I suppose.
I will gladly upload the translated files here. Since Eric called his German_V2, mine will be German_V2.1.

Some questions before that:

- Eric's original .zip contained some directories under /_MACOSX which were empty. Is it necessary to include them?
- Am I right in assuming that the search function does not work for umlauts (because I want to give that info in the translated text)?
- Rickard, will it likely be necessary to add translation for PunBB 1.3 when it comes out?

Regards,

Bernhard

2 (edited by coaster 2005-06-13 11:51)

Re: German translation

You actually don't need to use umlaut entities if both the charset sent to the browser and the language files have the same encoding, i.e. ISO-8859-1. UTF-8 would solve all charset problems anyway. roll

By the way, I was also planning to release my (unfinished) rewritten German translation, for both formal ("Sie") and informal ("du") German, since the one on PunBB.org has some typos/spelling mistakes and is only in formal German. Maybe I will wait for PunBB 1.3, but it depends on how much I'm willing to finish it. tongue

Hello Coaster,

you are so very right about UTF-8, but how can we be sure what the browser encodings are? I am sitting at my (Ubuntu-) Linux box right now, and thus I am on UTF-8.
I suggest that, after receiving answers to my other questions, I upload my files. They are only in formal language, like Eric's. I am very willing to leave you the first place to work on 1.3 ;-), but if you decide you don't want to continue on it, you are welcome to send me the files, and I will try to finish them.

Regards, Bernhard

P.S.: Wo steckst du denn in DE? Gladbeck/Ruhrgebiet hier.

I think it's quite unusual that a German forum will be running a different charset than ISO-8859-1 but I might be wrong. People that don't probably know how to convert the language files anyway. smile

I'm working on the informal German version right now, so I might release it soon. If you do the formal version, we'd be perfectly complementing each other. smile

P.S. Weiter unten, bei Stuttgart smile

OK, I will send mine to Rickard soon.

coaster wrote:

UTF-8 would solve all charset problems anyway. roll

No need to roll your eyes. It's coming. Sooner or later smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

7 (edited by Chaosmaker 2005-08-22 00:32)

I've translated the admin interface of PunBB 1.2.6 into German. It's possibly not the best translation (just quick and dirty), but it should be understandable.
You may download it here.

P.S.: It's an informal version, but it's just for admins so i think it's ok. wink