Topic: File Upload Feature

Hi

have just installed PunBB and configuring it, was wonder if there was ever any chance of adding a file upload feature.

the reason is i luv PunBB and am using it as a quasi-article manager .... and would be nice for members/moderators to be also able to upload files to a pre-set folder ... so they can then link to them in the topics they post etc.

i think you get the drift.

this beats, having to post the topic and then using ftp manager to upload files etc etc ... it can be done in one swoop.

Thanks

Re: File Upload Feature

Very good idea.

have you seen? http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7096

Holy Hell ... reading thru all 6 pages of people trying to implement this feature and the long instructions has got me scared ....

ok ... am building up my courage .... will attempt it one of these days .... once i sort thru thru it all ... i didn't realise how complex such a feature would be ....

I really appreciate all you guys do and the long effort put in coding this stuff ...

Thanks

I think you may like punuploadextra at http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=188 a little better. Affected Files = 0 so you just upload the files, run the script (backup your DB if ya want as it does affect that but I had no issues on 1.2.12) and you're done. I did it on my church's site for bulletins and so forth at http://www.belviewumc.org if you want to take a look.

I did have to change the $punbb_versions array b/c the last update was after 1.2.11 so if you have 1.2.12 you'll have to edit that  into the array. It then throws all the files into one page if you want to advertise that to your users so they can get all the articles (in your case or whatever else in other's cases) in one spot.

That's very great

Singapore Mall Forums : www.singaporemall.in/forums
Singapore Mall Photography : www.singaporemall.in/gallery

If only it would display the uploads in a simple list per category...

There is a category feature in that mod. What exactly are you looking for?

I'm looking for a basic upload feature.
People should be able to upload files (filetype doesn't matter) in different categories. The main uploader-page would then display the files per category (no fancy-filter function).

this should be included in the default punbb install imho. installing this mod is quite difficult.

The difficulty of installing a mod is not a good basis for deciding what features to include in the main code base. PunBB is meant to be a smaller, lighter, simpler forum. Adding attachments by default would clash with those goals.

if you think this is a sec. hole the code may be revised to hunt flaws and then disabled by default.

It's still unnecessary bloat

if the admin decides to use it, he doesnt have to install the mod spending half an hour to copy-paste code lines but press a button.

The extension system in 1.3 should solve the problem of tedious mod installations.