1 (edited by blizeH 2005-11-01 16:06)

Topic: New to PunBB, a few questions...

First of all I'd like to say what a fantastic job everyone here seems to be doing, absolutely loving the layout and features of the forums too! ;-)

Right, this could be a little complicated, so I'll explain it in the most basic manner possible.

I want all of all of the content from this site, all of the plugins and features from a test forum I created (private messaging, topic subscriptions, easy punbb code etc) and one of these styles - 1 . 2

I've read up on the styles and it seems simple enough, I shouldn't have a problem installing those, but even after reading the forums I still have no idea if there's a way to convert the current database, and I also have not much idea regarding the easiest way to install the mods.

Any advice much appreciated, thank you :-)

Re: New to PunBB, a few questions...

So you want to transfer all of your forums, topics and members from your phpbb forum to your test forum ?

You could try to see if phpbb has a coverter for punbb big_smile

The styles, mods and plugins are simple and easy to do and install

If you dont have a web host and are looking for a remote free forum host that has punbb then id suggest

mypunbb free forum host

Hehe, the test forum is actually hosted by Mypunbb! ;-) I would of used it as the main one, but it doesn't have FTP access so I can't install my own themes or have any chance at all of uploading my own database!

Also, according to this page, it would seem there is a convertor, but the link was removed, lol!

THe converter can be found on the downloads page:

http://punbb.org/download/contrib/PunBB … -1.4.0.zip

Absolute star, thank you!

blizeH, If you want to use mypunbb i will help you convert the database, restore it on mypunbb and upload the themes you want.

If not, then you need to convert (although i think you will lose the PMs and polls, not sure about that) add the mods you want (you can find them on www.punres.org) upload the styles you want (again there is a style upload on www.punres.org) and you'll be ready to go wink

Absolutely fantastic, thanks Connor :-)

Just need to sort the hosting out now, I may stick with the one we're on at the moment (arhy.org) but it's a bit of a pain since I feel cheeky asking Alex to continue hosting the site for us, especially since we keep taking the server down through heavy load, heh.

Shame there's no way to upload the database/themes to mypunbb!

/goes on a hunt for the cheapest hosting possible

Read my post again, i will upload the themes and database to mypunbb for you tongue

could you come and find me on irc? #punbb on quakenet

!

I'll be on IRC as soon as I get home :-)