The latest and greatest!
Migration from 1.3.5:
You can find older versions of PunBB, language packs for PunBB 1.0/1.1 and miscellaneous deprecated files in the museum.
PunBB 1.2.23 - Previous stable version. Tested for years.
- PunBB 1.2.23 (zip)
- PunBB 1.2.23 (7z)
- PunBB 1.2.23 (tar/gzip)
- PunBB 1.2.23 (tar/bz2)
- Previous versions
Migration from 1.2.22:
- Changed files only (zip)
- Changed files only (7z)
- Changed files only (tar/gzip)
- Changed files only (tar/bz2)
- Patch (see instructions)
Patches and changed files for migration from releases before 1.2.20 can be found in Download archive
Installation and upgrade instructions can be found in the included documentation (or at punbb.informer.com/docs/). Also, please take the time to browse through the FAQ, also included in the download. It contains answers to a number of frequently asked and anticipated questions. Report any problems in the forums.
Language packs for PunBB 1.3.*
On this Wiki page you can find language packs for PunBB contributed by users. Install by decompressing the archive into the directory lang/.
Language packs for PunBB 1.2.*
The following are user-contributed language packs for PunBB. The language packs are compatible with PunBB 1.2.*. Install by decompressing the archive into the directory lang/.
- Afrikaans - Translation by GrepingGrok and Heinrich Massmann.
- Arabic - Translation by zaher. Updated 2006-09-24 by FhdQa. You also need RTL adjusted style sheets.
- Bangla UTF-8 - Translation by The HungryCoder.
- Belarusian - Translation by LitFog.
- Bosnian - Translation by faax (faax [at] maglaj [dot] net). Updated 2006-11-07.
- Bulgarian / Bulgarian (UTF-8) - Translation by Dimiter Dimitrov. UTF-8 version by cms-bg.org.
- Catalan - Translation by simkin.
- Croatian (Hrvatski) - Translation by Josip Medved (based on Bosnian lang pack).
- Czech / Czech (UTF-8) - Translation by sejrac. Updated 2007-01-16 by Jan Smitka. Updated 2007-01-31 by punbb.er.cz.
- Chinese (Simplified) - Translation by coolhd. Updated 2005-06-29.
- Chinese (Traditional) - Translation by coolhd. Updated 2005-06-29.
- Danish - Translation by Lars Petersen.
- Dutch - Translation by Roel Schreurs.
- Estonian - Translation by lk.
- Farsi - Translation by PersianSat.
- Finnish - Translation by Timo Maaranen. The translation is not 100% completed.
- French - Translation by bdausse and kiplantt. Updated 2006-03-01.
- Galician - Translation by egalego.com.
- German - Translation by schnetm. Updated 2005-09-22 by Frank Hares.
- Greek - Translation by Spiros Doikas of Translatum - The Greek Translation Vortal. Updated 2006-01-17.
- Hebrew - Translation by Benny.
- Hindi - Translation by Pradeep Sharma.
- Hungarian - Translation by berVi.
- Icelandic - Translation by Sverrir.
- Indonesian - Translation by Kemas Yunus Antonius. Updated 2007-02-21.
- Italian - Translation by Strofanto.
- Japanese - Translation by Mitsuhiro Yoshida. Updated 2006-11-04.
- Korean - Translation by Big M. Updated 2005-12-15.
- Kurdish - Translation by Asso. Archive includes custom styles suited for Kurdish display.
- Latvian - Translation by atis.
- Lithuanian - Translation by e-Vaizdas.net.
- Macedonian - Translation by Pece Stanoev.
- Norwegian - Translation by Keito of Nintendo-forumet.
- Polish / Polish (UTF-8) - Translation by Nevethir. UTF-8 version by Marcin Kozioł.
- Portuguese - Translation by NEEI.
- Portuguese (Brazilian) - Translation by Vinicius.
- Romanian - Translation by Dan Damian.
- Russian - Translation by Staz. Updated 2007-10-22.
- Serbian - Translation by zoksso. Updated 2006-04-01.
- Slovak / Slovak (UTF-8) - Translation by smiko. Updated 2006-03-19 by cM. UTF-8 version by punbb.er.cz.
- Slovenian - Translation by Janez.
- Spanish - Translation by Albert Lozano of Mac-club.net. Updated 2007-03-11 by Apolo from ComunidadHosting.
- Swedish - Translation by Rickard Andersson. Updated 2005-05-06.
- Thai (UTF8) - Translation by Ohweb.
- Turkish - Translation by Cihangir.
- Ukrainian / Ukrainian (UTF-8) - Translation by Aleksandr Pilipenko. UTF-8 version by skipper13 and Romashka.
- Urdu (Pakistan) - Translation by Shariq Mustaquim. You might also need RTL adjusted style sheets.
- Vietnamese - Translation by vnpenguin.
If your language is not listed above and you would like to make a contribution to the PunBB community, you can create your own language pack. Just make a copy of the English language pack from the default install and change it accordingly. Alternatively, you could use one of the localization tools available below. Please note that even though a language pack for your language might not be available for PunBB 1.2, there might be a 1.1 pack available to use as a reference/starting point. If there is, you'll find it in the museum. When you're finished, e-mail your pack to rickard@<this domain>.
Administration plugins are drop-in modules for the PunBB administration interface. Install them by simply decompressing the archive into the directory /plugins. Uninstall by deleting the extracted files and folders. For information on writing your own plugins, see the example plugin included with PunBB 1.2 and later. Finished plugins should be sent to rickard@<this domain>.
- User Merge. Created by Terrell Russell. The User Merge plugins allows administrators to merge two user accounts.
- Author Update. Created by guardian34. This plugin can be used by administrators to modify the author (poster and poster_id) of a given post. Updated 2006-11-19.
- PunBB Shell. Created by Jansson. The PunBB Shell plugins allows administrators to execute shell commands from within the PunBB admin interface (use only if you know what you're doing).
- Backup. Created by Michael "PMD" Dorman. Use this plugin to backup your MySQL, SQLite or PostgreSQL database. The backup can be downloaded, stored on the server or even uploaded to an FTP server.
- Forum cleanup. Created by Connorhd. This plugin lets forum administrators do a little spring cleaning in the forum database. It can be used to clean out the database after a spam attack. Additionally, it can be used to synchronize user post counts, topic post counts, last post data etc. The plugin requires MySQL 4.0.4 or later.
- Clear Cache. Created by Smartys. The Clear Cache plugin can be used to clear and reset the different PunBB caches if you are uncomfortable with or unable to manually edit the files in the cache directory.
- Merge Forums. Created by sfackler. Use this plugin to merge all topics and posts from one forum into another. Updated 2005-10-23.
- Global topic. Created by Connorhd. The Global topic plugin is used to create the same topic in any number of forums simultaneously. Updated 2005-03-01.
- Languages and styles. Created by Connorhd. This plugin allows forum administrators to reset the language and style settings for all users. It also displays usage statistics for the different languages and styles.
- Broadcast Email. Created by trel1023. The Broadcast Email plugin allows administrators to broadcast e-mail to all registered users via the administration interface.
- DB Management. Created by Connorhd. This plugin can be used to make database backups and to restore from these backups. Furthermore, it allows you to run queries and to perform simple database maintenance. Updated 2005-04-05.
- User Management. Created by Connorhd. The User Management plugin can be used to prune user accounts based on the age of the account and the number of posts made by the users. Additionally, the plugin can also be used to add new users. Updated 2005-03-01.
- News Generator. Created by Rickard Andersson. This plugin generates static markup based on topics in a specific forum. The plugin can be used to display news postings on the news page of a website running PunBB. punbb.informer.com uses this plugin.
- Version Changer. Created by Rickard Andersson. Use Version Changer to update the PunBB version string if it, for some reason, is out of sync with your installation. Please note that this plugin does not update PunBB as such, it only changes the version number.
- Remove Users. Created by Praveen.V.Nair. This plugin is for administrators to remove multiple users along with their posts by the selection of checkbox.
Please note that these plugins are user-contributed and thus, any support questions should be directed to the author.
The PunBB Migration Tool is a utility for migrating to PunBB from a series of other forum software. It works by converting the database from the source forum into a PunBB database. The migration tool has been developed by David Djurbäck (a.k.a. Chacmool). In it's current version, the tool supports conversion from the following forum/CMS software:
- Invision Power Board 1.3
- Invision Power Board 2.0
- MiniBB 1.7d
- phpBB 2.0
- PHPNuke 7.4
- vBulletin 3.0.0
- YabbSE 1.5.5
- SMF 1.0.5
- SimpleBoard 1.7d
Please note that the versions listed are the versions that the converter has been thoroughly tested with. The converter might very well work with other versions as well, but they are untested. If you are currently running a forum that the migration tool does not support or if you've run into what you believe is a bug, contact David at chacmool at gmail dot com. The latest version of PunBB Migration Tool can be downloaded from the following location:
- PunBB Migration Tool 1.4.0 - Updated 2005-09-30.
Please note that the migration tool is unofficial and that any support questions therefore should be directed to the author. Backup your data before running the converter.
This section contains tools that help you localize PunBB into a new language.
- PunTranslator - PunTranslator is a Windows application for creating language packs. It was created by zaver.
- PunBB PHP Localizer 1.2 Beta - This PHP script for creating language packs was created by mindplay.
- Tagged PunBB language files - This archive contains the PunBB language pack files in .doc format tagged for easier translation using translation memory tools such as Trados, Wordfast, DVX and MetaTexis. Contributed by Spiros Doikas of translatum.gr.
The tools above work with PunBB 1.1.* and later.
The Mod Development Kit (MDK) is a small package aimed at those who want to develop modifications for PunBB. It contains a textfile with instructions, a template for the readme file (all mods have a readme.txt) and a template for a mod installation script.
- MDK for PunBB 1.2.* - Updated 2005-09-11.
Auto Readme is a Windows application developed by Mediator. The application is used to simplify the creation of mod readme files.
For more information about PunBB modding, visit the PunBB Resource.