Topic: Dynamic ranking

dunno if this has been done before or if its feasable but what if you could have dynamic ranks e.g. % ranks so first 25% are newbies or 10% or whatever instead of a postcount, as when you start a forum the ranks might be lower than as your forum grows

Re: Dynamic ranking

It would involve running a database query to find out whether a user is within the first 25% of whatever. That query would have to run every time a rank was displayed. The answer is therefore, no :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ahh yeh i suppose the amount of time to work it out when there are alot of posts on one page would make it really dirty and not really worth it... just means i have to edit my ranks as my forum grows lol or make them so huge no one will ever reach the top

Why not cache the total number of posts, and then make each person's rank dependent on what percentage of the forums total posts they have?

I like soup.

i dunno if that would work as a forum grows the ranks would need to be lowered so it would have the same maintenance as normal rankings

Cornflake: In large forums, we would end up with 0.1% ranks and stuff like that. Say the forums have a million posts.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

may as well have the current system, not that this is really an important suggestion just an idea to make life esier for me tongue

Rickard wrote:

In large forums, we would end up with 0.1% ranks and stuff like that. Say the forums have a million posts.

So? If you wan't to have 5 ranks does it matter if the first is 0% to 0.1%, the next 0.1% -> 1%, etc.? As long as the percentages can be changed then it should be fine.

The problem wouldn't be with large forums, but with small forums. Say the total posts is 50 (early in the forums history...), one post would be 2% of the total posts. A big thread could lead to lots of title changes, because as each person posts, their percentage of the total would change a lot. Say I have 20 posts of 40, that's 50%, but if a big thread comes along and I know have 20 posts of 60, now I only have 33% of the total. In a forum with a million posts, 1 post would only be 0.0001%, so ratings would be more stable (although it would be hard to increase your rating...)

Perhaps if instead of the total posts, the number of posts in the last week or two weeks could be used. It most probably won't be anywhere near one million, but the percentages would still be fairly distinct. Such a system wwould reward currently active members, instead of people who posted for a bit, and didn't stay.

Anyway, I'm just rambling on... maybe when 1.2 is released i'll work on this as a mod smile

I like soup.

but this is directly compareable to the current ranking system...

as you get more posts the current system needs changing up

as you get more posts in your system it needs moving down

therefore there is no point in having it, except for the active members thing, but then you have good and bad weeks in a forum and i dunno if it would work well and would it not be better being imkplemented on the current system rather than a % one?

I don't think people would enjoy being "pushed down" one step if they are inactive for a while.

lol go on holiday, you come back and its like you have to start again... ouch

what about a points system?  you know:
1 topic = 5 points
1 gained reply = 2 points
1 post = 2 points
etc. etc.

and use a point system for ranks instead?

.: AbstracT :.

Rewarding people for starting new topics is hardly something I would want to do. It's a big problem over at sweclockers.com, where people start new topics about stuff all the time even though there are already hundreds of topics on the same subject.