Re: The US election

Yeah, those living outside of US really must be those affected by the propaganda roll
(3 persons in here has entered from a US location, the rest is outside of the US)

A fact that I think is very disturbing is that during Bush regime, the US went against the UN, clearly not caring about the UN opinion, or the fact that Erik Blixt hadn't found any evidence of mass destruction weapons. And when no weapons were found, the focus turned onto what Saddam had done when he attacked Kuwait etc.
(Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the UN, recently talked about it, and Bush's actions weren't liked)
If US get away with this, then the idea of the UN in itself has failed, and suddenly there's no reason for any of the countries to listen to the UN... it's a sad thing really... the UN has offered some stability during it's time in existence, and helped alot of people...

By the look of it though, neither of the candidates seem to be that great...

The UN failed itself.  How many failed resolutions were they going to pass before they realized that Saddam didn't care about UN resolutions?  The US, Britian, Poland, Spain, and 30 other countries enforced the resolutions that the UN had agreed upon.

It was also widely accepted by all nations that Saddam had WMDs and was trying to get more.  Did he have them?  We will never know, but we do know that he had some capacity to make them and was trying to make more of them.

I agree that the fall of the UN is sad, but its not the fault of Bush or the US.  If the UN had actually acted on its threats, then it would still be a viable body.

NFL-Forums.com administrator

Well I don't want to get into this much more (as people's temper usually boil over when discussing politics and religions wink), so this will be my last post about this topic.

I won't comment your last post more than (all nations you say???  And he had agreed to disarm WMDs, and so far nothing have proven the opposite, so the propaganda must have hit someone else than me... also US have the capacity to make WMDs, I guess it does mean US create WMDs as much as possible...)

Either way, Bush wouldn't have let Saddam take troops into the USA to count every single one of the many nuclear missiles US possess either. And Saddam didn't take the 'coalishion's invasions with open arms either...

I just think some things the US have done during his regime has't been right. (The Kyoto protocol is another thing, heck even Russia have agreed with it, Bush turned around(US was positive to it earlier, not any longer))

Anyhow ... this was my last post on this subject...and nothing will make me return to this discussion...

Frank,

I appreciate your response. I didn't want to cause disrest, just offer a differing viewpoint.  Not all nations believed that he had WMD's, just most. wink

It is true that the US has nuclear weapons, everyone knows this.  But Saddam was known to be an agressive leader, not shying away from invading a country such as Kuwait.  It was also commonly believed that he was interested in invading Israel.  He also used weapons on his own people.

The Kyoto protocol had some glaring problems with it.  That is why Bush was against it, no other reason.

In the end, Saddam constantly ignored the world body by kicking out inspectors, robbing his own people in the oil for food programs, and other ways.  The fact that he 'agreed' to disarm doesn't mean anything since he 'agreed' to do many other things that he didn't do.

I too will end my discussion.  My point has been made.  Thanks for listening. smile

NFL-Forums.com administrator

nfl-forums, you are right when you talking like that.
but something happening to this world, greater than you can imagine it, in fact it is writen in history,
thay are afraid not from terrorist but from president have Super power and like himslef, read about World War 2 and you will find that president, and will you find the true.

BTW, there is a movie describe a Psycho of people going to war

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers 2

thay are not ask why the BUGs hate us but  just ask how to kill it.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

31 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-10-09 18:35)

Last Wednesday (10/6/2004), the Armed Services committee had their hearing on the final findings of US's own official weapon inspection reports.

rtsp://cspanrm.fplive.net/cspan/project … 4_armed.rm

The whole thing's pretty long. But I think the basis for most peoples' ire with the entire situation is summed up nicely by Senator Carl Levin's take on the situation (fast-forward 9 minutes into the hearing). Please note that Levin's comments were made within the context of the US weapon inspector's newly-released final report.

The CIA has also posted the key findings of committee's report online here:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd … ndings.pdf

This will probably be my last post in this topic too.
(I groaned when I saw this in the topic list but couldn't help myself.)

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

32 (edited by middleground 2004-10-09 01:35)

zaher wrote:

nfl-forums, you are right when you talking like that.
but something happening to this world, greater than you can imagine it, in fact it is writen in history,
thay are afraid not from terrorist but from president have Super power and like himslef, read about World War 2 and you will find that president, and will you find the true.

BTW, there is a movie describe a Psycho of people going to war

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers 2

thay are not ask why the BUGs hate us but just ask how to kill it.

You've got to be kidding me. I don't know what books you are reading, but if you are referencing Hitler, then you need to do some re-reading my friend. Hitler's premise was a superior race and ANYONE not of the purest arien bloodline was up for slaughter (or extermination). Along with the desire to take ownership of as much of Europe as possible. Currently in the conflict that is going one, but one side is currently killing those who are not of their religion and beliefs.

Despite all that is said about how the USA has caused all this misery and destruction. I ask-
Who (what religion) is currently killing their own "people" for the sake of taking over that country??
Who is the current roadblock in keeping a nation rising to its full potential as a free society??

Not the US this time. Maybe we shouldn't have removed him, but right now (and for some time), it is the greediness and savagery of certain NON-US peoples in the world who would rather destroy a nation and its people to get one jab at the infidels.

The way I see it..."the trees are all kept equal, by hatchet, axe, and saw" (and we are not the trees)

I to now bow out of this topic as it will only lead undesirable conclusion. It is a shame that people can't even discuss topics of this nature in text. Even more of a shame, wild ass theories and comparisons to a time long before any of you were even born. Perhaps a little better knowledge of history would put an end to some of this.

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

Maybe america went to war for the wrong reasons but told its people the right reasons... i mean they went to war for oil and said they were liberating a nation and taking down a threat, however is iraq really better off at the moment and has terrorism fallen?

middleground, Before i post, let us keeping as friend, i like this forum for that, we just talking.

Hitler is make Hateful in his people before make a war,
Now what happen to USA people, thay have also same that kind of Hateful on others, and make a war for that,
i feel that obviously in another forum (i am going there to make friend, but thay talking severity, the posts was deleted by admin).

we here like USA people, but hate the government, but after War in IRAQ we seem something not expected from "USA people".

BTW, dont hate the others and make a friends in this marvelous forum.

nfl-forums wrote:

Bush is stupid.

Again, this is all propoganda.  I will admit that he isn't the best speaker in the world, but he got through Harvard and made himself a millionaire.  In addition, he played a huge part in his father's election, became governer of Texas, and successfully beat Gore in 2000.

Ok, calling him stupid might be pushing it, but he sure is way below average for a president. I am convinced he would be no more than a used car salesman hadn't he been brought up the way he was (silver spoon and all).

And yes, he did graduate from Harvard (barely), but that's hardly a benchmark for intelligence :) President of the USA is the most powerful political office in the world. I might be a dissident here, but I believe we must expect more from someone who "claims the throne" so to speak.

The fact that he beat Gore is also up for debate. I've read over and over again that Gore got more votes. I'm sure you're all thinking oh no, not THAT again, but it is hugely important. If the fact that Gore got more votes and still didn't become president is true, it essentially means America isn't a democracy.

nfl-forums wrote:

People who tell me that Bush is stupid are also the same people who tell me that he successfully duped the entire country into going to war.  Really people, be consistent.

If he hadn't gone to war, I'm sure he wouldn't even have been considered the for the upcoming election. America demanded a war and he responded. I don't buy into the propaganda that he "duped America into going to war". The fact that most Americans wanted a war hardly makes the situation better though.

nfl-forums wrote:

War on Terror and Iraq

I know its hard to understand when you didn't go through 9/11 like some of us.  We all had different experiences of that day.  I personally saw the Pentagon burn and the ruins of the WTC.  I saw the pictures of missing people placed all over NYC.  We cannot wait for the next attack, we have to take care of threats before the become attacks.

And you do that by invading Iraq? Since when has Saddam been a direct threat to the US? There are lots of other hostile dictatorships that we KNOW have WMD's or at least the technology and raw material to manufacture them.

nfl-forums wrote:

The US, Britian, Poland, Spain, and 30 other countries enforced the resolutions that the UN had agreed upon.

30 out of 191 countries I might add.

nfl-forums wrote:

I agree that the fall of the UN is sad, but its not the fault of Bush or the US.  If the UN had actually acted on its threats, then it would still be a viable body.

The UN hasn't fallen. Americans have just started ignoring it's recommendations.

It's not up to the UN to "act on threats". The UN is a peace-keeping organisation, not the opposite. Sure, it might be the most bureaucratic organisation in the world, but it's all we've got. Let's make it more effective instead of side-stepping it.

nfl-forums wrote:

The Kyoto protocol had some glaring problems with it.  That is why Bush was against it, no other reason.

And none of the other superpowers noticed these problems? Bush's main argument was that the protocol would be a hard blow on the American economy (mainly due to increased electricity prices). Of course it would! The protocol forces people everywhere to make compromises. Personally, I think the Kyoto protocol is a threat to the American lifestyle more than anything. Americans get grumpy when they can't fill up their oversized SUV's with extremely cheap gasoline (less than a third of what we pay in Europe) and leave the George Foreman grill on 24/7. Ok, I'm not sure about that last one :), but you do consume a rediculous amount of electrical energy "per capita".

nfl-forums wrote:

I too will end my discussion.  My point has been made.

Please don't. I value your input here.

I want to make something very clear here. In might come on as some kind of America hater at times, but believe we me when I say I'm not. I've only been to the US once (in NYC in 2002), but I had a great time and found Americans to be a very nice bunch of people. It just baffles me how such nice people can conduct such foul foreign policy.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think Bush performed much better in the 2nd debate. I don't like either of them, but I am supporting Bush.

I watched an interview with a US tank driver in Iraq.. he made a good point. 
Basically he said stop arguing about why we are here, because we are here, whether the reason was justified or not. Concentrate your efforts on sorting it out, not arguing why it happened in the first place.

I agree to a point; I think the why should be sorted out later. Get Iraq sorted out first.

Andy wrote:

I think Bush performed much better in the 2nd debate. I don't like either of them, but I am supporting Bush.

I watched an interview with a US tank driver in Iraq.. he made a good point. 
Basically he said stop arguing about why we are here, because we are here, whether the reason was justified or not. Concentrate your efforts on sorting it out, not arguing why it happened in the first place.

I agree to a point; I think the why should be sorted out later. Get Iraq sorted out first.

I agree, but the election will determine who will be in office for the next four years, so the why is just as important in that respect. Why the Bush administration decided to invade Iraq is an important political question. Who is more suited for the job of withdrawing disgruntled US troops from Iraq? The person who put them there in the first place or someone with a fresh perspective on things?

I'm still supporting Kerry. The oppositions main argument has been that Kerry might be weak or indecisive. Whether he is weak or not, I don't know, but I think a little bit of indecision and humility is healthy in a president. We want someone who will go to war as an absolute last resort and I don't believe Bush did that. Americas foreign policy is the very reason they claim to be in a "war on terrorism". Remember:

Yoda wrote:

Fear leeds to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leeds to suffering!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Not like my vote counts, me being under 18 and all, but I vote Nader big_smile

hehe, nah, my vote would goto Kerry.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

We want someone who will go to war as an absolute last resort and I don't believe Bush did that

I don't paticularily want a president who starts talking about his combat experience in Vietnam when last resort is mentioned roll

Andy wrote:

I don't paticularily want a president who starts talking about his combat experience in Vietnam when last resort is mentioned :rolleyes:

Huh?

While we're on the subject. The whole "who has seen the most combat" debate is rediculous. I can't see how the amount of combat a potential president has seen should have any bearing on the decision process. Americans seem to take it very seriously though.

Huh?

" Those words mean something to me, as somebody who has been in combat. "Last resort." "

Quote from John Kerry ^^

While we're on the subject. The whole "who has seen the most combat" debate is rediculous. I can't see how the amount of combat a potential president has seen should have any bearing on the decision process. Americans seem to take it very seriously though.

And Kerry is the one who likes to talk about that the most smile

Andy wrote:

" Those words mean something to me, as somebody who has been in combat. "Last resort." "

Quote from John Kerry ^^

But by that he implied that he has seen combat and therefore understands the need to avoid it, not the opposite.

Andy wrote:

And Kerry is the one who likes to talk about that the most =)

For obvious reasons, yes. As I said, Americans take it very seriously and if Kerry can get ahead due to his military record, he will of course use it.

43 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-10-10 15:18)

Rickard wrote:

...While we're on the subject. The whole "who has seen the most combat" debate is ridiculous. I can't see how the amount of combat a potential president has seen should have any bearing on the decision process. Americans seem to take it very seriously though.

I think most people have two different takes on this...

#1. Lots of people vote for the tough-guy image (that Bush has and Kerry is trying desperately to gain). Usually the tough-guy image goes to the candidate with the military record but Kerry has to compete with Bush's folksy Texan and 9/11 response tough-guy image.

#2. Since the US president acts as the commander-in-chief of America's armed forces, I think that people believe a president with hands-on experience in war is likely to be a better judge of when and how to apply such force, and what applying that force really means to the world and the soldiers fighting.

Number 2 plays to the anti-Bush people because they can clearly divide the Bush administration itself into two groups along these lines...
    The no-combat-experience and quick-to-war camp:
     Cheney, Wolfowitz, Libby, Rumsfeld, et.al.

The combat experienced and slow-to-war camp:
     Powell and Armitage

I'm not sure I'd defend these rationals to the death. This is simply the way I've have understood the "conventional wisdom" regarding military service and US presidents myself: as a mix of #1 and #2.

I earlier wrote:

This will probably be my last post in this topic too.

Well, at least I said "probably".

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

ShawnBrown wrote:

#2. Since the US president acts as the commander-in-chief of America's armed forces, I think that people believe a president with hands-on experience in war is likely to be a better judge of when and how to apply such force, and what applying that force really means to the world and the soldiers fighting.

But you have to agree it doesn't really make sense? The decisions a commander-in-chief is expected to make are of a completely different scale than those of a soldier in combat. I'm also convinced the president, in 99% of the cases, makes his decisions in accordance with the advice he gets from his expert staff.

replace expert staff with financial backers and you have the answer tongue

Rickard wrote:

But you have to agree it doesn't really make sense?

I certainly agree that it doesn't make sense to use combat experience as a main (or even large) factor in choosing a president.

But I'm also inclined to believe that combat experience helps to temper and refine a decision maker's judgement with regard to wartime decisions. The cast of the current administration plays out this idea: those with combat experience support a more measured and prudent posture and those without combat experience are favoring more aggressive policies.

Now, I wouldn't be too surprised to find that this didn't hold up historically. A study comparing combat experience in youth (or lack thereof) to wartime policy decisions later in life would be an interesting read. But since I haven't seen any proper evidence that supports or refutes this, all I have to go on is my gut.

ShawnBrown wrote:
Rickard wrote:

But you have to agree it doesn't really make sense?

I certainly agree that it doesn't make sense to use combat experience as a main (or even large) factor in choosing a president.

But I'm also inclined to believe that combat experience helps to temper and refine a decision maker's judgement with regard to wartime decisions. The cast of the current administration plays out this idea: those with combat experience support a more measured and prudent posture and those without combat experience are favoring more aggressive policies.

Now, I wouldn't be too surprised to find that this didn't hold up historically. A study comparing combat experience in youth (or lack thereof) to wartime policy decisions later in life would be an interesting read. But since I haven't seen any proper evidence that supports or refutes this, all I have to go on is my gut.

I agree that combat experience does play a role in the decision making process when considering "going to war".  Who better to ponder the thought of sending young men and women into combat than someone who has seen it close up for what it really is. One would never know how Kennedy would of handled the cuban missile crisis had he not been a veteran, but I think it does play into the decision. Bush Sr. made the decision to not go into Bagdad in '91 as he saw no "exit strategy", perhaps his veteran role also played a part in his decisions... who knows ..While the advice to do something may come from advisors, I believe it is a personal one when the decision is finally made (at least for the good presidents anyway).

I think Americans, me at least, show a certain respect for those who have fought in combat. I would stand behind Powell before I would Rumsfeld. Perhaps it is a generational thing, I think most people here barely remember the first Gulf War, let alone Vietnam, Korea, or WWII.

------------
It is very interesting to hear why non-US citizens think one should / shouldn't be our president, in fact fairly humorous at times, and VERY frustrating at others. You all speak as if you are more knowledgeable about our wants / desires from a president than we do. When we try to explain what Americans really feel, you all want nothing of it. I would not even attempt to try to tell you if Blair should stay or go, as I have no idea what you hold more vaulable in your own minds. Please try to consider the same.

Funny how we never see topics like- "Russia dealing with Chechin rebels?", or "Australia re-elects prime minister who supported Iraq war", or how "Arab "gangs" massacre thousands in Africa and governent does nothing to stop the genocide", or anything of that nature. Seems the US is just good reading.

I'm also surprised how much of these decisions from non-americans comes from Iraq war (no one even mentions Afghanistan- first free elections recently by the way). When the Iraq mess is over with, and it will be, we as a country have more important issues to resolve. We need to also consider these issues and not just whether the president will go to war or not. I want to hear economic plans, healthcare reform, national debt reduction, international realations, etc. be discussed and those also weigh heavily on our decisions.

Also- perhaps some are not aware that there is a legislative branch to our government that has more impact on our daily lives than the president. All say "Bush" took us to war, but do not forget the house and senate gave him the go ahead. NO president I know of have gone against that body on such a serious issue. An opposing party with majority rule in the house and senate can all but make a president "powerless". The president has ideas and proposals (unless he invoke things by executive order), but it is the remainder of our government that makes it happen, or not happen.

In other words- there is a big picture here, and if one makes decisions based on a single event (Iraq), or one flaw in a candidate (yeah Bush comes off pretty stupid at times), then you are not looking at this big picture. You're merely jumping the bandwagon.

Just IMHO

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

<BREAK>

Watch movie
"Independence Day"

Me, We and World need like that president in this movie.

</BREAK>

Election info here. Updated daily! big_smile

It is very interesting to hear why non-US citizens think one should / shouldn't be our president, in fact fairly humorous at times, and VERY frustrating at others.

The US president has a huge influence on the rest of the world, which is why non US citizens discuss it.