76 (edited by CodeDuck 2004-10-14 14:57)

Re: The US election

Rickard wrote:

I heard a Swedish reporter say that no president has ever won all three debates and then lost the election. Just food for thought.

On a related note, through history the tallest candidate has always gotten the majority of votes. Based on this Kerry will get the most votes, just as Gore did. That doesn't mean he becomes president though.

CodeDuck wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I heard a Swedish reporter say that no president has ever won all three debates and then lost the election. Just food for thought.

On a related note, through history the tallest candidate has always gotten the majority of votes. Based on this Kerry will get the most votes, just as Gore did. That doesn't mean he becomes president though.

On a related note, I have never been wrong about anything :D

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The american lifestyle of money before life make me sick :/

Jansson wrote:

That I have to disagree with. Americans "live life" way more than we do. Sure, life is centered around money in a very big way, but instead of putting it all in the bank (the Swedish way), they spend it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

all the world is "lifestyle of money.." not just american, and every where you find good people and evil people.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Rickard wrote:
Jansson wrote:

That I have to disagree with. Americans "live life" way more than we do. Sure, life is centered around money in a very big way, but instead of putting it all in the bank (the Swedish way), they spend it.

Hmm.. You're right. Maybe I should change it to "Most people lifestyles of money before life makes me sick :/"

Eminem, the activist: http://hcgtv.com/item/609

hcgtv wrote:

Eminem, the activist: http://hcgtv.com/item/609

Saw the video two days ago. He's a genius :)

I wonder how much influence someone like Eminen has on young voters.

Rickard wrote:

I wonder how much influence someone like Eminen has on young voters.

I would say a tremendous amount, just like the Beatles had in the 60's. The album, Encore, comes out Nov. 19 but he decided to get Mosh out.

The news media has been covering the video event like the second coming over here in the states. "Oh my God, Bush has a knife stuck in his head!"

Need help deciding who to vote for? Probably not, but anyway...
The Election Helper (Joke)

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

how many americans really see all that bush has wrecked, including the U.S. now borrowing 1 of every 5 dollars it spends? how many are too scared to elect kerry since we are in a war?

88 (edited by dmz 2004-11-02 03:59)

Wow, where to start?

someone wrote:

The fact that he beat Gore is also up for debate. I've read over and over again that Gore got more votes. I'm sure you're all thinking oh no, not THAT again, but it is hugely important. If the fact that Gore got more votes and still didn't become president is true, it essentially means America isn't a democracy.

The United States of America is not a democracy.  It is a Republic.  Unfortunately, the Electoral College system allows a candidate to win the popular vote, but lose the election.  Either way, Gore lost according to the rules of the game.  Don't bother replying with Michael Moore conspiracy theories, this is fact.

someone wrote:

and no proof that Saddam was funding international terrorists or planning another invasion.

Saddam wasn't paying families of suicide bombers?

someone wrote:

30 out of 191 countries I might add.

That's a helpful comment.  I'm sure we could have used some help from the Army of Tonga and the Navy of Madagascar, but they must have been... busy?

someone wrote:

And none of the other superpowers noticed these problems? Bush's main argument was that the protocol would be a hard blow on the American economy (mainly due to increased electricity prices). Of course it would! The protocol forces people everywhere to make compromises. Personally, I think the Kyoto protocol is a threat to the American lifestyle more than anything. Americans get grumpy when they can't fill up their oversized SUV's with extremely cheap gasoline (less than a third of what we pay in Europe) and leave the George Foreman grill on 24/7. Ok, I'm not sure about that last one smile, but you do consume a rediculous amount of electrical energy "per capita".

Unfortunately, this is the legacy of capitalism.  If you are concerned about the energy use of USA, you'd better start worrying a hell of a lot more about China.

someone wrote:

First: How could america know that the bombs would not just make japan more angry?
Second: How could they know how many people would die compared to a traditional attack? The atomic bomb had never been used before... I´m pretty sure that they knew nothing or very little about the radiation that after the bomb would kill japanese people for over 50 years forward in time.

Wow, this is going way back, but I seem to recall that we invited the Japanese to a test of the bombs before we dropped them.  "This is what's going to happen" sort of a thing.  They basically ignored us, so we bombed them.  They laughed at us, so we bombed them again.  A HORRIBLE tragedy to be sure, but as others have stated those two actions may have saved millions in the end.  I could be completely off base here, maybe I dreamed this.  ???

someone wrote:

A people will never just all of a sudden stand up against someone else.. A good proof of that is the slavery that existed everywhere in the world for a long time without any slave standing up for the others... People are surpressed everywhere without doing anything about it - simply because they most often can´t. The locals are far to supressed by the US soldiers and the extremists to dare something like that.

Thank God Almighty our founding fathers did not share your opinion.

someone wrote:

The american lifestyle of money before life make me sick hmm

See China, above.

I apologize if my first post in these forums makes me look like I'm trying to start a fight (I'm not), its just that I followed a link to this thread and felt like adding my two cents.

Americans aren't all greedy, SUV driving, money hungry warmongers.  And I really believe that we do more good in a day than a lot of countries do in a year.  I'm not calling anyone lazy or anything like that, but a lot of good has come out of my country and I'm very proud of it (technology, medicine, etc).

Don't lose faith in America just yet.  Things will work out.

Edit: I guess I was wrong about the Japan comment, I just read this: "Other arguments state that the United States should have warned the Japanese, or that we should have invited them to a public demonstration. "In retrospect that U.S. use of the atomic bomb may have been the first act of the cold war."(Grolier 8) On the other side, advocates claimed that the invasion of the Japanese islands could and would result in over one million military casualties plus the civilian losses based on previous invasions of Japanese occupied islands."

I was sure I read somewhere that we demonstrated the bomb to them, but I stand corrected.  Sorry.

dmz wrote:

Unfortunately, this is the legacy of capitalism.

So it's allright then? Blaming capitalism for pollution is like blaming Islam for 9/11.

dmz wrote:

Don't lose faith in America just yet.  Things will work out.

With some new folks in the white house, yes, I'm quite positive they will.

dmz wrote:

The United States of America is not a democracy.  It is a Republic.

Ok, we need to sort this out. The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of a democracy reads:

a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

How can that not apply to the US as well? I don't get it.

dmz wrote:

Rickard wrote:

Ok, we need to sort this out. .... The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of a democracy reads...

When people say that the US is not a democracy, they are usually holding a strict view of what makes a "true democracy". More specifically, they are usually referring--whether they know it or not--to the 2,400+ year-old idealistic definition of democracy as defined by the Athenian statesman Pericles (Google Search: Pericles funeral oration). Since even Pericles' Athens didn't live up to his own definition of this ideal, his words were taken as propaganda for Athenian imperialism.

In this strict scholarly sense, people can argue that the US is not a democracy, and is instead, a "democratic federated republic" or something to this effect. But when someone hears the word "democracy" in conversation, they're probably thinking something very similar to the M-Webster definition.

Language is always changing and I think that, now, it is useful and accurate to refer to America as a democracy. Whew. This has turned into a mouth full.

Anyway, in the spirit of all this... I vote for the Merriam-Webster definition!

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Rickard wrote:
dmz wrote:

Ok, we need to sort this out. The US isn't a democracy, it's a republic. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of a democracy reads:

a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

How can that not apply to the US as well? I don't get it.

I just thought you should know this when you decide to move to The United States.  ;-)

Rickard wrote:

So it's allright then? Blaming capitalism for pollution is like blaming Islam for 9/11.

Neither of these have any similarity whatsoever.

dmz wrote:
Rickard wrote:

But they do. Just because extreme capitalism has a tendency to be detrimental on the environment doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Similarly, extreme islamism has a tendency to lead to terrorism, but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.

dmz wrote:

I just thought you should know this when you decide to move to The United States.  ;-)

That's a funny test.

Who wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner?"

Who gives a ****? :)

Safe to say, I wouldn't have passed it (failed on 5, 9 and 10). Then again, I doubt most americans would pass it.

97 (edited by dmz 2004-11-02 14:19)

Rickard wrote:

Who gives a ****? smile

Just because you apparently have no sense of national pride, doesn't mean others don't.  I for one care about our traditions and heritage.  Do you know your national anthem?

Rickard wrote:

Safe to say, I wouldn't have passed it (failed on 5, 9 and 10). Then again, I doubt most americans would pass it.

Most Americans shouldn't have to.  We were schooled in this country and learned most of this stuff by age ten.

Rickard wrote:
dmz wrote:
Rickard wrote:

But they do. Just because extreme capitalism has a tendency to be detrimental on the environment doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Similarly, extreme islamism has a tendency to lead to terrorism, but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.

The United States has only been around for 200 odd years.  We grew to where we are in a relatively short span of time.  I am not justifying anything, just stating a point that had we known in the beginning what we know now, maybe some things would be different.  But signing a treaty which would be detrimental to our economy isn't the answer.  As someone else said, we can't just pull the plug and reverse 200 years of growth.  We need other solutions.  Take another look at that article I posted about China.  You will soon be bitching about them as well.

Religion in any form has been the source of waaaaaay too much bloodshed over the years.  But when you present radical ideas to poor, oppressed people who feel they have nothing to live for other than to kill a certain group of people, that's when the trouble starts.

Now excuse me, I'm late for work and I have to go vote.  smile

dmz wrote:

Just because you apparently have no sense of national pride, doesn't mean others don't.  I for one care about our traditions and heritage.  Do you know your national anthem?

I sure do. That doesn't mean I have any idea who the hell wrote it.

And yes, I do have some sense of national pride. The problem with us Swedes is that we don't have a lot to be proud of :) Sweden post 19:th century is so "middle-of-the-road". There are no extremes over here.

Useless fact: I just read in a newspaper that Swedish marriages are the longest lasting marriages in the world. Very Swedish.

dmz wrote:

Most Americans shouldn't have to.  We were schooled in this country and learned most of this stuff by age ten.

So if you were born American, contrary to aspiring to be an American, you're not expected to know the answers to those questions?

dmz wrote:

Religion in any form has been the source of waaaaaay too much bloodshed over the years.  But when you present radical ideas to poor, oppressed people who feel they have nothing to live for other than to kill a certain group of people, that's when the trouble starts.

I generally agree with you. Religion _is_ the opium of the people. However, it's "evilness" is hardly limited to poor, opressed nations. Politically driven religion is just as dangerous. The worst religion, radical in it's views or not, is the one that controls those who control nations. THAT's when the trouble starts (Israel-Palestine anyone?).

All I can add is this:

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.