Topic: Private Messaging (pun_pm)

New extension Pun Private Messaging (beta) is released. It works on both PunBB 1.3 RC and current dev version. Please, test it.

Download from svn or zip.

Feel free to report bugs or suggest improvements and new features.

2 (edited by fantasma 2008-07-31 13:19)

Re: Private Messaging (pun_pm)

not work....yes work!

3 (edited by Parpalak 2008-07-31 13:32)

Are there any error messages displayed?

After installation additional subsection "Private Messages" page should appear at the "Profile" page if you are logged in. Also the link "Private messages" should appear near the "New posts" and "Mark all topics as read" at the top of every page.

Added:

fantasma wrote:

yes work!

Well... That's great!

4 (edited by fantasma 2008-07-31 13:50)

yes...for now work correctly

Very good work smile

6 (edited by fantasma 2008-07-31 14:25)

but it not show in the profile view in the forum post???
can't send message directly to the user in the forum page, can you add it?

We plan to add links "Send private message" in the next version of pun_pm. They will be placed in the user's profile and near the posts.

ok thanks!!

9 (edited by sick 2008-08-01 15:22)

atal error: Call to undefined method DBLayer::create_table() in /public_html/admin/extensions.php(139) : eval()'d code on line 61

Not sure what happened. Get that when i try to install

What database do you use? Pun Private Messaging has been tested on MySQL. Seemingly it is to be tested on others.

MySQL 4.1.22-standard-log

is what im using.

This is quite a strange error.

Are you sure you use the proper version of PunBB? Pun Private Messaging was developed to work on current version of PunBB 1.3. It was tested on 1.3 RC and may not work on earlier versions.

Maybe there is an error in a file from 'include/dblayer/' directory. Please, try to replace the files from this directory by original files from the installation package.

If this doesn't work, provide us the following information:
1. What version of PunBB do you use?
2. Do you use 'MySQL Standard' or 'MySQL Improved' access to DB?

hella it's possible move the message "Private messages" link, near profile link?

This is good idea

15 (edited by Parpalak 2008-08-13 17:15)

I think this idea isn't as good.

There is quite a simple logic. Near the link "New posts" should be displayed a text that tells user how many unread messages he's got. It would be nice if this text were the link to the user's inbox.

Administrator can easily add links to the main navigation menu (Administration -> Settings -> Setup). "Private messages" could be one of these links if this is required.

This is my private opinion. Feel free to give your reasons.

Update. The described way doesn't work. The link to the user's inbox contains the user's id. This id сhanges from one user to another. Probably we should think about removing this id.

ok...!
thanks

But I think create the extenion move the word pm messages near Profile

parpalak wrote:

The link to the user's inbox contains the user's id. This id сhanges from one user to another. Probably we should think about removing this id.

Agree: no need to give ID to open user's inbox.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

no need to give ID to open user's inbox.

Yes. On the other hand we've decided to make the PM page as a subsection in the Profile. The id makes PM-links similar to other links in the Profile section.

Hey I am currently running a small punbb 1.3 test environment with the pun_pm extension installed. Currently about 25 people are using it and have given me my first set of feedback. The first request they had was to make the it more obvious if one receive a message. For example make a bold button next to the log out button that says "(1) New Message" that would take you to your inbox. The second request I got was to "chain" the messages in the case of long reply sessions. If a message gets replied to 12 times the whole message chain should be there. I don't know if this helps but I hope the feedback is helpful.

reverseholic wrote:

The first request they had was to make the it more obvious if one receive a message. For example make a bold button next to the log out button that says "(1) New Message" that would take you to your inbox.

Got it.

reverseholic wrote:

The second request I got was to "chain" the messages in the case of long reply sessions. If a message gets replied to 12 times the whole message chain should be there. I don't know if this helps but I hope the feedback is helpful.

This feature would really be in good demand!
We'll add this to the pun_pm v2.0 (next version).

Carpe diem

This extension doesn't work in SQLite installs. The exact error is:

The error occurred on line 405 in /home/mschat/northsalemcrew.net/lightblog/forum/include/dblayer/sqlite.php

soren121 wrote:

This extension doesn't work in SQLite installs.

Thanks for your report. We work on this problem.

When i try to install the extension, i get this error: An error was encountered

The error occurred on line 351 in N:\hosted\pokeverden\forum\include\dblayer\mysqli.php

Database reported: BLOB/TEXT column 'body' can't have a default value (Errno: 1101).

Please help me!!

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

grudon66 wrote:

When i try to install the extension, i get this error: An error was encountered

The error occurred on line 351 in N:\hosted\pokeverden\forum\include\dblayer\mysqli.php

Database reported: BLOB/TEXT column 'body' can't have a default value (Errno: 1101).

What revision/version of 1.3 do you use?
What version of pun_pm are you installing?
What other extensions do you have installed?

Carpe diem